Textkit Logo

The media

Philosophers and rhetoricians, Welcome!

The media

Postby Emma_85 » Sat Oct 25, 2003 4:14 pm

I posted this on another forum: The Media thread at sc4ever.com
It's about the media and how/if it dictates our actions, or not.
Now this isn't really a textkit debate, but I'd like to hear your opinions, too (posted on this forum, but of course you can always reply to a thread on the other board).
phpbb
Emma_85
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby mingshey » Mon Oct 27, 2003 9:09 am

Well, you can ignore, scorn at, or get brainwashed by the media. But using the media as the primary source of your information you get confined in your thought. You have to read really much and learn to think in a big picture(which I'm not doing, lol) to grasp the slight idea what's going on out there.

You have to be a philosopher to see the "big picture". But the so called, practical, pragmatic education ideology says most people don't need to learn philosophy for their daily life and they only need to know as much to work on a conveyer belt, so to say. That is, you're a slave and slaves don't do philosophy. You are offered entertainment everyday, only you have to hit the channel. And gnaw at some of the politicians who are caught at what every politicians do. And vote for another politician who will do what you can gnaw at later.(Sorry, this may not be an English expression.)

Sorry for this random rant.
mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Postby Skylax » Mon Oct 27, 2003 11:33 am

In my mind, there is a kind of resonance : the media say what they believe you will appreciate and you act according to what the media let you know. So the media make you do what is the quintessence of what you want to do (first of all they will make you do what makes you look good, young, rich, brilliant...).

Now please translate it into English...
(In French : À mon avis, il existe une espèce de résonance : les medias disent ce qu'ils croient vous être agréable et en retour vous agissez selon ce que les medias vous disent. Ainsi, les medias auront tendance à vous faire faire la quintessence de ce que vous désirez faire (c'est-à-dire, avant tout, donner de soi-même une belle image, avoir l'air jeune, riche, brillant...)
Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby Emma_85 » Tue Oct 28, 2003 3:05 pm

phpbb
Emma_85
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: The media

Postby Raya » Wed Oct 29, 2003 7:15 am

Emma_85 wrote:Now this isn't really a textkit debate...

Sure it is!!! ;) If there's one thing I want to make clear, it's that this forum *isn't* restricted to Great Questions About Life, The Universe And Everything.

On topic
Very interesting studies you post there. I can't say I'm surprised...

I remember, when living in the Middle East, seeing news items in the local media and then watching totally contradictory reportage of the same issues on CNN or BBC. I pretty much stopped paying attention to current events since then; my faith in news media has become quite crippled. I *could* do major research every time I heard something, but there are things I would much rather do with my time, energy and money.

Of course, I get criticised for this; I tend to get accused of being egocentric, of not caring about what's happening in the world...

A little learning is a dangerous thing.
Often when you know a little bit about a subject, you feel like you know heaps about it... and when you start learning about it, only then do you realise how much you don't know. I feel it would be an injustice to form opinions of people/situations based on the polarised reports the media gives... I'd rather not have any opinion than a poorly-informed one.
Raya
Textkit Fan

Postby Keesa » Wed Oct 29, 2003 12:43 pm

Well, I only watch PBS as far as television media goes. I like the News Hour because they almost always try to show both sides of the story, or sometimes three or four sides. Do I trust them to tell me the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth? Not a bit of it. Am I going to look at all the resources at my disposal? (And by this I mean Internet, books, magazines, newspapers, etc., not that I'm going to look at every news bulletin or website on the Internet. :D ) Definitely. Am I going to trust them any more than I trust PBS? Nope.

Now, that's more my stand on "news" news-the war in Iraq, for example, or North Korea or the Middle East. When Jim Lehrer puts a person on the News Hour and tells me that this person is an author and has just won the Putlitzer prize...well, call me a media dummy, but I do tend to believe him then. :wink:
Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Postby klewlis » Wed Oct 29, 2003 2:26 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, Keesa, but this means that even though you have several sources of news, they are all still american (or mainly), and that is still a problem. If all of your sources are american, they are all owned by only three or so companies, all of which have a vested interest in shaping your opinions.

I find it helpful to read a bit of canadian, a bit of american, a bit of european, and the occasional "alternative" sources to get a well-rounded view. But as Raya said, that can be hugely time-consuming. Part B is simply realizing that there is always an agenda, and taking everything with a grain of salt.
klewlis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Keesa » Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:55 pm

klewlis wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, Keesa, but this means that even though you have several sources of news, they are all still american (or mainly), and that is still a problem. If all of your sources are american, they are all owned by only three or so companies, all of which have a vested interest in shaping your opinions.

No, no, not a bit of it. I use American sources, but the Internet gives me access to the BBC, Le Monde (good place to practice my French!) and some news site out of...Turkey, I think it is. (The link is stored in a folder, and because of computer difficulties I can't access it right now, or I'd be able to put the name and country down.) I also access an Israeli website...I can't remember the name off the top of my head, but I think it's the "Jerusalem Post" or the "Jerusalem Report" or something like that. Then you add the New York Times and my local newspaper, and it makes for a pretty good mix, I think. (Granted, the Turkish site is translated into English...I have to be careful for hidden agendas among the translators. :wink: )
Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Return to The Academy