Textkit Logo

Help! Typing Macron+Rough+Acute on Alpha

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Help! Typing Macron+Rough+Acute on Alpha

Postby Gregorius » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:14 am

I'm learning the relative pronoun ὅς, and the feminine accusative plural requires an alpha with a macron, rough breathing mark, and acute accent. I cannot figure out a way to combine all three diacritics either with my custom shortcuts or with Manuel Lopez's Classical Greek keyboard. My best attempts seem to either push the macron off-center or merge the macron with one of the other two marks to create some weird hybrid: ἅ̄ς ᾱ̔́ς

Any advice will be most appreciated!
phpbb
Gregorius
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Help! Typing Macron+Rough+Acute on Alpha

Postby jaihare » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:04 am

Gregorius wrote:I'm learning the relative pronoun ὅς, and the feminine accusative plural requires an alpha with a macron, rough breathing mark, and acute accent. I cannot figure out a way to combine all three diacritics either with my custom shortcuts or with Manuel Lopez's Classical Greek keyboard. My best attempts seem to either push the macron off-center or merge the macron with one of the other two marks to create some weird hybrid: ἅ̄ς ᾱ̔́ς

Any advice will be most appreciated!

Advice? Good luck. :) The fonts don't normally support macron/chevron insertion for Polytonic Greek in Unicode. It might appear in the future, but right now there's no consistent way to do it (outside of setting up specific commands in LaTeX to output it, which isn't very useful for day-to-day exchanges and cannot be copy-pasted into another application).

This a frustration that we all feel, don't worry.

Jason
Jason Hare
jaihare@gmail.com

ὁ μὲν Παῦλος τοὺς ἐν ταῖς ἐκκλησίαις μαθητὰς τὴν χωρὶς νόμου δικαιοσύνην τὴν ἐν Χριστῷ ἐδίδασκεν, οἱ δ᾿ ἄλλοι ἀπόστολοι τοὺς ἀνθρώπους ἐδίδασκον τηρεῖν τὸν θεῖον νόμον τὸν χειρὶ Μωϋσέως δοθέντα.
jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Postby NateD26 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:20 am

Hi, Gregorius, and good morning, Jason! :)

I know New Athena Unicode is a free font which has pre-made symbols with both macron and accents
& breathing marks, though there is no other free font with such symbols, as far as I know, and there's
no key combination to insert them other than the usual hex value alt+[x], where x is a 4 digit number
or a combo of numbers and letters located at the bottom of the symbol window assigned to each symbol
as you click it. Of course, you could change its shortcut to something easier to remember at any time.
You should keep in mind, however, that this font looks awful.

If only we had the complete version of GFS porson used in Smyth and other grammar books. :roll:
Nate.
NateD26
Textkit Zealot

Postby jaihare » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:32 pm

NateD26 wrote:If only we had the complete version of GFS porson used in Smyth and other grammar books. :roll:

My dear Nate... I couldn't agree more. When will they release such a wonderful free tool?!?!?!

Maybe they do this so that not every Tom, D*i*c*k and Harry could release a grammar or try to self-publish on a professional level? Only those who can manipulate and suffer LaTeX will be able to do such things.
Jason Hare
jaihare@gmail.com

ὁ μὲν Παῦλος τοὺς ἐν ταῖς ἐκκλησίαις μαθητὰς τὴν χωρὶς νόμου δικαιοσύνην τὴν ἐν Χριστῷ ἐδίδασκεν, οἱ δ᾿ ἄλλοι ἀπόστολοι τοὺς ἀνθρώπους ἐδίδασκον τηρεῖν τὸν θεῖον νόμον τὸν χειρὶ Μωϋσέως δοθέντα.
jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Postby Gregorius » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:10 pm

Rats! I'm not alone in this, huh? Well, I've arrived at two makeshift solutions. Neither one is perfect, but I suppose they'll have to do until TPTB democratize the full polytonic typeface.

#1: Use NAU for these triple-diacritic characters while using normal font for everything else. (ᾱ̔́ς)
#2: Invent an unorthodox use for the chevron, namely to indicate any long, roughly breathed vowel with either an acute or grave accent (since the grave is only ever used at the ends of words, the intended accent can be inferred from the placement of the vowel). It's certainly not ideal for official purposes, but it works fine for personal use. (ᾰς)

Come to think of it, I think this may be the only instance of more than two diacritics on the same letter (assuming you leave short alpha/iota and smooth breathing unmarked). That may be why it's so difficult to type, since keyboard/font designers may have thought triple-diacritics to be so rare as to be hardly worth accommodating. Also, even with just two, things often start to look a bit cluttered.
Last edited by Gregorius on Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
phpbb
Gregorius
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Hampie » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:11 pm

A solution that is not beatiful nor as good is to make a ‹fake› macron underneath the alpha by underlining it. For learning pruposes this would probably be endurable :3.
Här kan jag i alla fall skriva på svenska, eller hur?
Hampie
Textkit Member

Postby Gregorius » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:20 pm

That works fine, too,...until you need an iota subscript as well. Does that ever happen in ancient Greek? A long alpha with rough breathing, acute or grave accent, AND iota subscript?

EDIT: *slaps forehead* Never mind. I had a brain fart and forgot that iota subscript automatically implies a long vowel, thereby rendering the macron redundant.
Last edited by Gregorius on Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phpbb
Gregorius
Textkit Neophyte

Postby jaihare » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:44 pm

Gregorius wrote:That works fine, too,...until you need an iota subscript as well. Does that ever happen in ancient Greek? A long alpha with rough breathing, acute or grave accent, AND iota subscript?

ᾅδης

Then again, if it has an iota subscript, it's AUTOMATICALLY long. You can't put one under a short alpha. So, you won't need it, right?
Jason Hare
jaihare@gmail.com

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Postby Gregorius » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:51 pm

Yep. I was editing my last post at the same time as you were adding another of your own, Jason. Talk about being on the same page!
phpbb
Gregorius
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Lex » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:53 am

I would upload a file containing my cheatsheet for the Greek Polytonic Keyboard in Windows plus the New Athena Unicode special characters such as alpha+macron+rough+acute, but for some reason, Textkit won't currently allow it. If you private message me with an email address, I would be glad to send it to you.
I, Lex Llama, super genius, will one day rule this planet! And then you'll rue the day you messed with me, you damned dirty apes!
Lex
Textkit Zealot

Return to Learning Greek