Please help me pick a project

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Bryan
Textkit Neophyte

Please help me pick a project

Post by Bryan »

I have not given significant attention to Greek for several years, and I am eager to get back into it. I have three unfinished projects I thought I might present to the group, and with your help, finish. Here they are:

1. A translation, gramatical description, and commentary on Xenophon’s treatise on horsemanship.
2. A translation, gramatical description, and commentary on Simon’s treatise on horsemanship. This is the one Xenophon mentions; this will be a tough one, since althouth I have the text, there is no available translation to fall back on.
3. A translation, gramatical description, and commentary on Iliad book 11. I have translated the first 200 or so lines, but have comentary for only about 15.

Please tell me which of these three you would rather see treated in this forum.

pster
Textkit Zealot

Re: Please help me pick a project

Post by pster »

My impression of the forum is that it is an Attic kinda place. So that would rule out the Homer. Others may disagree. Personally I would vote for the Xenophon since I plan on reading all his Socratic writings in the next 12 months.

Bryan
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Bryan »

Thank you for your interest. I will get the first little bit ready, and post it as soon as I can.

jswilkmd
Textkit Neophyte

Post by jswilkmd »

Do Simon's treaty on horsemanship--ultimately, you'll get more out of it because you'll have to work through it all by yourself, without relying on a pony to help you. More work for you? Yes. More reward? Absolutely.