Forum's Security

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
NateD26
Textkit Zealot

Forum's Security

Post by NateD26 »

I visited this site earlier this morning (gmt +2) and received a trojan, which was luckily caught in time
by my security protection software. I don't know the first thing about security protocols behind php
forums, but I'd prefer not to get trojaned again, so please do something to prevent situations
like this in the future.
Nate.

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Re: Forum's Security

Post by Jeff Tirey »

Hi Nate,

Could you describe the problem a bit more please and why you think the forum was the cause of it. There's nothing in our source code that would trigger any kind of security alert nor is there code that would make requests from malicious sites.

If you use the newest version of firefox, press F12 and the 'net' tab and hit refresh on a textit page. It'll show all the get requests, scripts and servers. It's just textkit.com, google, tyekit doubleclick, facebook, and rackspace.

thanks,
jeff
Textkit Founder

NateD26
Textkit Zealot

Post by NateD26 »

It had to be this site because other sites loaded fine with no problems.
I've tried getting into the site three or four times and each time the site loaded
with some php warning at the top of the page and triggered some trojan that was caught by
my security program, Eset Smart Security.

But don't sweat it. Everything is fine now and the trojan was quarantined.
Nate.

pster
Textkit Zealot

Post by pster »

That is weird. Because I was doing my greek flashcards at flashcardmachine.com about 12 hours later and after I finished editing a set I couldn't do the drill because my antivirus said there was a threat detected. I could log onto the site but I couldn't do any drills. Neither firefox and opera worked. Now I'm wondering if I picked up something here before doing the flashcards. I did post here after Nate and before the flashcards.

I just checked again and now everything is fine with my flashcards.

Weird.

I can't think of a good Greek virus joke at the moment.