New Members Introduction Thread (New Users Post Here!)

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
furrykef
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: New Members Introduction Thread (New Users Post Here!)

Post by furrykef »

It really is not necessary to type in such huge letters. (Honestly, I think the recent font size increase was bad enough.)

If people need larger text, they will increase their browser's font size themselves.
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.

Delirant isti romani!

rakeswell
Textkit Neophyte

Post by rakeswell »

Rakeswell vobis omnibus S.P.D.

Mihi valde placet hunc locum interretialem apud quam multos
doctissimos invenire. Contendo ut pure et Latine loquar at multum
oportet mihi discere. Si fallor (ut soleo) me corrigeatis, quaeso, ut
melius fiam. Quantum auxilium libenter afferam ut possum.

Macte virtute!

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Markos »

It really is not necessary to type in such huge letters. (Honestly, I think the recent font size increase was bad enough.)
Actually, one of the advantages that Textkit has over other sites where Greek is used is that it's really easy to increase the font. On many other sites, it's hard to read the accents/breathings because the font is so small. But you are right, now that the Jeff has magnified the basic font size, the huge letters are probably not necessary, although I still think this is good for communicating in Greek

και συ; αρα συ θελεις γραφειν Ελληνιστι; ει συ γραφεις εμοι, εγω γραψω σοι. ει συ λαλεῖς σοι, εγω λαλησω σοι. μαλιστα αγαπω χρασθαι τῃ γλωσσῃ Ελληνικῃ. ὁ Μαρκος ασπαζεται σε
οὐ μανθάνω γράφειν, ἀλλὰ γράφω τοῦ μαθεῖν.

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

rakeswell wrote:Rakeswell vobis omnibus S.P.D.

Mihi valde placet hunc locum interretialem apud quam multos
doctissimos invenire. Contendo ut pure et Latine loquar at multum
oportet mihi discere. Si fallor (ut soleo) me corrigeatis, quaeso, ut
melius fiam. Quantum auxilium libenter afferam ut possum.

Macte virtute!
Salve Rakeswell, gratus tuus adventus hoc in forum nostrum!

Latine apte scribis quod mihi valde placet. Unum autem mendum in tuo scripto vidi: "me corrigatis" debuisti scripsisse. Utinam Cicero novus factus sis!
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute

rakeswell
Textkit Neophyte

Post by rakeswell »

Multas gratias tibi, thesaure, ago!

vermillion9
Textkit Neophyte

Post by vermillion9 »

This is my I-am-not-a-spammer post! I am here for future help with Greek which I am learning because I opened my big mouth on my usual haunt (a religious debate forum) and am now determined to make good on my claim that one should read one's holy text in the language in which it was first written. Although, the Bible isn't my holy text and I am decidedly not reading the NT until I can in the Greek because I want an unbiased approach. Perhaps I am crazed but, so far, I am enjoying the challenge of decoding this strange language. Hopefully, my slowness (I am really quite bad at Greek!!) will be tolerated here amongst the pros.

ltaylor
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ltaylor »

Hi!
I'm pretty new to this forum. I've visited the site numerous times, though. I'm trying to teach myself Ancient Greek because I would love to read the Bible and other ancient texts in Greek. I also would love to move to learning Modern Greek in the future as well. From what I can tell so far it's hard! But I think it will definitely be worth it. If anyone has any tips, that would be great! One I've learned so far is that I need to practice every day. I think that may be why I struggling. But if anyone has any other tips, I'd love to hear them!
Good luck, everyone!

Bontree
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Bontree »

Granville Sharpe in the 1700's also taught himself Greek so he could debate theology with knowledge and authority, and they named a grammatical rule after him.
The best to you with your endeavor.

cs28820n
Textkit Neophyte

Post by cs28820n »

Hi, I"m Christopher a four year Latin student and second year Greek student. My teacher is of the firm belief that "John White is always right." (The First Greek Book) with which I couldn't agree more!

ChristHaunted
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ChristHaunted »

Hello, my name is Mark and I am learning Koine Greek with my son Soren. I hope to advance in learning to classical Greek after that. I live in Westminster, CO.
καὶ ἔχων ἐν τῇ δεξιᾷ χειρὶ αὐτοῦ ἀστέρας ἑπτά

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

ChristHaunted wrote:Hello, my name is Mark and I am learning Koine Greek with my son Soren. I hope to advance in learning to classical Greek after that. I live in Westminster, CO.
Welcome to the forums! (I'm from Lakewood, fyi!)
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute

maine64
Textkit Neophyte

Post by maine64 »

Hi! I had an account here before, several years and email addresses ago. (Jeff, I still have that dusty old book, Pharr's "Homeric Greek" copyright 1920, should you ever need to re-scan it.)

I'm finally having another go at learning Latin, after several years away from it. I'm restarting back at the beginning of Orberg's "Lingua Latina per se Illustrata: Familia Romana."

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

Well welcome back and it's nice to see that you've cycled back to Latin.

Jeff
Textkit Founder

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

Hi All,
I saw some comments above on the large fonts. I'm decided to increase the default fonts because the number one link on the forum pages (using Google Analytics) is the increase font size button. I'm running a test to see if that goes down.

Jeff
Textkit Founder

Qbe
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Qbe »

Hi again, Textkit. I'm not exactly a new user (I joined here in 2005) but I haven't posted in years. In the olden days I read the forums every morning, but then I was sidetracked by work and studying Japanese (not necessarily in that order).

Anyway, my name is Joe and I live about 30 miles SW of Chicago. I got hooked on languages back in high school, went to a preseminary college so I could take German, Latin, Greek and Hebrew, went on to seminary and spent a few years serving a few churches before I decided that it wasn't for me. Nowadays I'm a systems engineer/programmer/Unix administrator by profession.

Browsing around the great resources over at http://www.wilbourhall.org, I realized that a) I still want to read Euclid in Greek, and b) my Greek is pretty rusty (as well as c: I'd like to get back into Sanskrit, but that's a topic for a different day). I'd also like to get back to routine reading of the NT and LXX, as well as read some Lucian.

So, it's time to knock off the rust. I pulled my old copy of Crosby & Schaeffer (from college) off the shelf, but it moves too slowly to hold my interest: at my age, I no longer have forever to get through the book! This morning I decided to try Hansen & Quinn as a refresher and learned that my Greek's really rusty. I'm hoping that the speed of the course will keep me from getting bored and giving up.

Meanwhile, I thought I'd stop by and see if there are any study groups starting up soon, but it looks fairly quiet on that front. However, the forum still has plenty of good discussion, and that'll be encouraging as I get back up to speed. It's nice to be back.

Eugene
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Eugene »

Χαιρέτε φίλοι!

Totally new to Greek learning Internet segment. My name is Eugene (Ευγενής), i'm 23 and i live in Saint-Peterburg(Russia). It's not common here to learn greek or latin at school. I suppose there's only one school/gymnasium with such studies here. Ancient languages are learnt at universities at most.

I'm studying ancient greek and latin starting from fall semester at university, faculty of philosophy. At seminars we are reading Herwig textbook, and soon we will read Xenophon and Apology.

Greek texts are cradle of philosophy and literature. I'm interested in tracing origins and basic forms of metaphysical thinking. My aim is to read early Plato, Aristotle, and first wave of Sophists. And sure, i'm in love with Sophocles and want to read greek drama as much as possible.

I think acquiring method is quiet resourceful, so i do some translations into greek and try to speak greek. Also looking for some [history-cultural rooted] translation studies.

Nice to meet you all!

ps
My English isn't good though i don't speak or write much.

ragnar_deerslayer
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ragnar_deerslayer »

My name is Mark. I’m a 33-year-old college professor of English. I recently completed my M.Div, which included two years of Koine, followed by a year of Hebrew. A few months ago I discovered that my proficiency in Koine was disappearing at an alarming rate, so I reinstituted my 15-minutes-a-day study time. I’ve discovered, to my great surprise, that what was about as much fun as a root canal during seminary is actually a lot of fun on my own. I find myself thinking about Greek all through the day and compulsively trying to translate small bits of text that I see (signs, slogans, even the hymns in church) into Greek.

If I can get my proficiency back up, I think I’d like to start studying the LXX as well, and I’ve always dreamt of reading Homer (ever since I fell in love with the Penguin Classics editions, and later, the Lattimore translations).
Read my blog! --> Study Greek

jswilkmd
Textkit Neophyte

Post by jswilkmd »

thesaurus wrote:
ChristHaunted wrote:Hello, my name is Mark and I am learning Koine Greek with my son Soren. I hope to advance in learning to classical Greek after that. I live in Westminster, CO.
Welcome to the forums! (I'm from Lakewood, fyi!)
And I'm in Highlands Ranch. Markos lives in the Denver Area, too. We should all get together and speak Greek some time.

edmondsr
Textkit Neophyte

Post by edmondsr »

Hi All

I am a long time lurker and only recently have I decided to become a member here.

I have taken some instruction in Latin, but only one year. Since, I have continued my Latin and am making some gains, and even reading Virgil and Ovid with some profit and pleasure.

During a recent deployment to Afghanistan, I decided to take on Homeric Greek in order to occupy some of my idle time. I am using Pharr and progress is slow but steady. I have made it through about 40 pages or so of Steadman's Odyssey (9-12) reader.

Right now, in both languages I find that vocabulary to be the biggest challenge, and in Greek particularly, recognition and retention of Greek verb stems.

Looking forward to posting a little more regularly, perhaps.

Ryan

JusSza
Textkit Neophyte

Post by JusSza »

Salvete Omnes!
Hello Everyone!

My name is JusSza and I'm new to these forums... I joined for the occasional bit of help with my Latin. I'm in Latin 2 B... I'm a sophomore and I enjoy taking Latin so far, but I don't know if I will take Latin 3 :P
Anyway,
Thanks for Having this Forum!
-JusSza

Kridina
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Kridina »

Greetings,

I'm a mom (And a young childhood educator)..and for various reasons...I've decided to home school my younger children (They have special needs etc). One subject I have decided to pursue with them is Latin. I found this site and hope it will be helpful.

Kridina

willeman
Textkit Neophyte

Post by willeman »

Salvete!

I'm a theology student at Emory University's Candler School of Theology in Atlanta, GA, following up, among other things, on a life-long passion for the classics. Went back to post-grad school 25 years after completing the bachelors in Latin and Greek. I'm always filled with wonder at the fact that Medieval scholars from several countries in Europe could have a conference in Latin and everyone would be able to participate fully. Perhaps Textkit should organize a Latin convention where participants speak absolutely nothing else? (I'd be really quiet!) But then, you've probably thought of this before - perhaps even done it ...

Thank you for such a wonderful resource!

Bryan
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Bryan »

Hi, I'm Bryan. I took four years each of ancient Greek and Latin at the University of Washington in an attempt to get into graduate school in the Classics, but was not accepted. I would like to rediscover my passion for Greek, especially Homer. I have been working on a translation of Xenophon's treatise on horsemanship.

kearneyb
Textkit Neophyte

Post by kearneyb »

Hello. My name is Kearney Bothwell and I am an amateur historian/genealogist researching all things related to the Bothwell surname. I'm looking for help with several versions of the motto associated with different members of the Bothwell families of Edinburgh and Canongate in the 16th century and no, we are not related (at least directly) to the Earl of Bothwell, whose surname was actually Hepburn. Thanks.

Lechin
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Lechin »

Hello everyone. I'm Lechin. I'm not that good at introductions so it might be short. I'm learning Latin. I'm a total beginner and I just started yesterday officially. I think it would be nice and fun to learn another language. Latin is hard, but I like a challenge. :) I only pray that I am pronouncing these words correctly. :?

Joseph
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Joseph »

Hello everyone. I'm beginning a study of Attic Greek soon using Mastronarde's Introduction to Attic Greek, and felt like this site would be a good resource in my studies. I'm also working on modern Korean and will eventually begin working on Classical Chinese once I've picked up enough characters to take a serious swing at it, so anyone with interests in either of those languages I hope will feel free to get in contact. My goal with regards to the Greek and Chinese is obviously accessing ancient works in their original language, specifically philosophic ones.

jrothlander
Textkit Neophyte

Post by jrothlander »

Hello. My name is Greg Rothlander and I live in Cedar Park, Texas just outside of Austin. I am studying Bliblical Greek and looking to attend graduate school part time as soon as the economy comes back and I can make the financial commitment.

I've been looking to take some graduate classes through DTS and with the poor economy I have been putting off the financial commitment to graduate school for the past year or two. So I have been working through Mounce's BBG testbook and other resources the past year or so hoping to get a jump on first sememster Greek. The campus for DTS in Austin does not offer Greek so I will most likey be taking the courses online, which does concern me. So I've been working though the textbook on my own.

I've been working in software the past 17+ years and the past 8+ years I have been working on software compilers, which translate written software languges into code that a computer can understand. To my suprize there are LOTS of similarities between writing compilers and translating Greek into English and I have started apply some of my software tools and methods to Greek and I have found this to be very interesting and useful in my own studies. I have really enjoyed working through the lanugage and building tools for study. Look for similar tools, I ran across this forum and I am excited to be able to talk with other students of Greek and maybe a few going through Mounce's BBG as well.

Best regards,
Greg Rothlander

Stacy
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Stacy »

Hello. I am Stacy. I am determined to learn Katharevousa Greek, hell or high water. I don't know where to begin. A very dear friend will be my instructor but he refuses to use anything other than KG. It's an informal setting so my first question is where can I find a good textbook/workbook/dictionary to begin? I want to start this personal project A.S.A.P. I am glad I found this group. The members seem knowledgeable.

majesty01
Textkit Neophyte

Post by majesty01 »

Hi, I'm very interested in ancient Greek and Latin. I just study these two ancient languages by myself. This site help me a lot. I downloaded a lot of book for studying. Starting to study. Thx for Textkit.

Crandalljoe
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Crandalljoe »

Hi, my name is Joe (suprise!) and my college son (OU) is in need of some serious help learning Ancient Greek. Any ideas of fun helps would be great. Videos, interactive games, etc... Thank you. Btw, I'm in month 2 of learning Spanish. Tardes!

calvinist
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by calvinist »

Hi Joe! I'm sorry that I don't have any ideas for you, but I suggest that you repost this in the "Learning Greek" section because this section doesn't get as much exposure. I think you'll get some great ideas from the members around here. :D

hjf
Textkit Neophyte

Post by hjf »

Hello! My name is Heather. I am a fiction writer and occasionally use ancient Greek (and sometimes Latin) words in my short stories and novels. I have dictionaries and grammars but sometimes could use a bit more help. I have a current question which I will post in the appropriate place. Thank you!

leebb112286
Textkit Neophyte

Post by leebb112286 »

Hi. I'm interested in working through Wheelock on my own. I plan to start working with one of the beginners' groups at http://www.quasillum.com/study/index.php. I hope to find some useful resources here. --Lee

ferrous
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ferrous »

Salvete. I'm Ferrous, and I'm attempting again to teach myself Latin after moving away from it for a few months since recent events in my life have proven that I shouldn't just wait until I can take a Latin course. I'm going to continue using Wheelock's and maybe Lingua Latina, though LL bored me the last time I tried studying with it.

I am almost completely certain that I am not a spambot, and I look forward to participating in this community. ;)

lizhuberx3
Textkit Neophyte

Post by lizhuberx3 »

Hello everybody I am new to this forum myself Liz Huber from Arizona. I have completed my graduation in science but Since last 2 years I had developed an interest in learning new language. Currently I know 5 languages and now I am looking forward to learn ancient Greek. I hope this forum will help me to learn Greek.

liumx
Textkit Neophyte

Post by liumx »

Oh dear, oh dear,

Convinced that my account no longer active when I tried to log-in, I've created another new account! I will leave the new account to the administrator's jurisdiction. :oops:

Anyway, my Last visited:
Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:19 pm

So, I guess to re-introduce is nothing new. :D

I ceased to receive pharr-d group monthly notification last year but did not check what happened then. Peuh, ain't easy to follow closely since my pharr-d participation was embarrassingly few.

A Malaysian,
liumx

brighthouse
Textkit Neophyte

Re: New Members Introduction Thread - Amber of Brighthouse

Post by brighthouse »

Hello. I'm Amber, homeschooling Mom to 5 boys ages 13-3. My oldest son has chosen Latin as his language of choice to study for HS - he loves all things Roman. I have a 3 year plan for him laid out using Wheelocks Latin (text, workbook, vocab cards, Grote's book, and 38 stories). He's selftutoring - reading Grote first and answering questions there, reading Wheelock next, working on the vocab, doing the workbook pages for the chapter before attempting the Sententiae. The plan is to have him do a story from 38 every 2-3 Wheelock chapters.) I have no Latin background other than common Latin phrases. We've run into a snag rather quickly it seems and I'm sure there are more to come. I have access to the digital answer keys from Wheelock for both the text and workbook but would like a place/person to whom we can appeal to when he hits a snag and I can't figure out how to help him.

surferbassist
Textkit Neophyte

Post by surferbassist »

Hello all. I am Latin and Greek teacher. I have a BA in classical languages and often read through the forum, but it was about time I posted. At my school we use both Ecce and Wheelock for the Latin classes and Athenaze (though we avoid it) and Pharr for the Greek.

Glaukos
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Glaukos »

Greetings!

From some time ago I've become interested in learning Greek and all about Ancient Greek Civilization, and surfing the web I found this site. My mother tongue is spanish (from Argentina) but I live in Israel (but my knowledge of hebrew is, at best, scanty). Because of that sometimes it becomes a little bit difficult for me to find adequate learning material (in book form), so I have to rely heavily on digital ( .pdf and the like).
I can read english (evidently :D) and french, and have a basic knowledge of Latin.

As I said before my goals are learning greek (attic and epic mainly). I hope you guys can help me in this forum with possible doubts about greek grammar and syntax I may have.
Thank you.

technopoetic
Textkit Neophyte

Post by technopoetic »

Hello everyone, I had four years of Latin in high school and two years of Greek in college. However, that was about a hundred years ago. Now I'm re-learning.