Diogenes software!!!

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Swth\r
Textkit Fan

Diogenes software!!!

Post by Swth\r »

Diogenes! O mates, did you know about that? :shock:

http://www.dur.ac.uk/p.j.heslin/Software/Diogenes/
Dives qui sapiens est...

Amadeus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Diogenes software!!!

Post by Amadeus »

I did. I used it for a while and it was just excellent! Sadly, a few weeks back the software malfunctioned. Every time I wanted to do a dictionary search the program couldn't find the database or something... :cry:
Lisa: Relax?! I can't relax! Nor can I yield, relent, or... Only two synonyms? Oh my God! I'm losing my perspicacity! Aaaaa!

Homer: Well it's always in the last place you look.

Swth\r
Textkit Fan

Post by Swth\r »

Did you try to reinstall it?
Dives qui sapiens est...

Amadeus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Amadeus »

I re-installed it a few moments ago, but the same error popped up: there's no database to be found in my machine. I did a Google search and this came up: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/25142/diogenes One of the reviewers for the software says that the TLG database must be bought separately, which is odd because I could freely search the dictionaries before. Then I noticed that the first option in the Diogenes splash screen was set to "Simple search for a word or phrase", so I switched it to "Look up a word in the dictionary".... lo and behold, it works now! I guess I must've changed the default option without even noticing. :P Let this be a lesson to anyone else who's just as absent-minded as me. :lol:
Lisa: Relax?! I can't relax! Nor can I yield, relent, or... Only two synonyms? Oh my God! I'm losing my perspicacity! Aaaaa!

Homer: Well it's always in the last place you look.

kkkristo
Textkit Neophyte

Post by kkkristo »

Please help me! When starting after installing a screen appeared demanding a location of TLG database. I browsed all folders at program files/diogenes/... and found nothing. How should I know where the database is?? What is the name of database-folder :?: (I have windows xp)

kkkristo
Textkit Neophyte

Post by kkkristo »

Please help me! When starting after installing a screen appeared demanding a location of TLG database. I browsed all folders at c\program files/diogenes/... and found nothing. How should I know where the database is?? What is the name of database-folder :?: (I have windows xp)

LSorenson
Textkit Neophyte

Post by LSorenson »

The TLG database files which Diogenes can access, are not part of the Diogenes program. You must subscribe to the TLG (Thesaurus Linguae Graecae) http://www.tlg.uci.edu/ in order to get the texts from TLG. There are some freely available texts which TLG provides gratis. I do not think Diogenes can link to those freely available TLG texts. An individual subscription to TLG costs $100 US dollars per year.

Even though the Diogenes does not include the TLG files, one can still use Diogenes to lookup words in the Liddell-Scott-Jones lexicon and parse words. (The author of Diogenes, Peter Heslin, is personally hoping long-term to be able to provide access to digitized Greek texts - but there are still many legal challenges. It will likely take many years to resolve this problem. TLG has been digitizing Greek texts since the 1970's).

Perseus (Tufts University) provides many texts online. But Diogenes is designed to use TLG texts, PHI texts from the Packard Humanities Institute http://www.packhum.org/phi/ and the Duke Papyri database. I believe the PHI texts have been released to the public (Perhaps someone can provide a link). I do not know if Diogenes can link directly to the PHI texts, or if they must be downloaded by the individual. I also believe that the Duke database is now publicly available.

In order to use the lexicon or parsing portions of Diogenes without referring to the Greek TLG texts, one must start Diogenes, and select the corresponding item from the "Action" drop-down menu box. Select either 'Look up a Word in the Dictonary' or 'Parse the Inflexion of a Greek or Latin Word'. In the Query box, enter either the Greek/Latin word in betacode or unicode, and hit either enter or click on the 'Go' button.

If you have access to a digital Greek text in unicode format, you may use The Hopperizer utility http://www.katabiblon.com/tools/perseus-hopperizer/ to link that text to Diogenes.

Louis Sorenson
Last edited by LSorenson on Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jk0592
Textkit Member

Post by jk0592 »

Thanks Amadeus, the dictionary functions very well and is very useful. At first, I was at a loss for the TLG database, but as you mentioned, the "Look up a word in the dictionary" does not necessitate any such database. It is very convenient, as I was to use cut and paste on a word from Herodotus and get the translation directly.
This is much faster than looking up the pdf version of LSJ, or the pdf of the Grand Bailly. All these pdf dictionaries are in image form, and therefore cannot use the search functions, we have to navigate from page to page to locate a given word.
Jean K.

paulusnb
Textkit Fan

Post by paulusnb »

For PHI Texts, E-mail Bridget Comparini at Packard Humanities Institute phi@packhum.org. You will have to fax a release to her. I will try to upload the attachment. Dang. Will not let me. Well, try Bridget.
Last edited by paulusnb on Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. ~Swift

kkkristo
Textkit Neophyte

Post by kkkristo »

Louis Sorenson, thanx indeed for the very fullness of your answer; its a pity that TLG isnt accesible free, but, you are right, the functions of dictionary and parsing words are wery usefull and make installation od Diogenes reasonable. Thank you!

sreniax
Textkit Neophyte

Post by sreniax »

Well diogenes is a usefull program but it does nothing without the TLG database, i can give the database just pm me. ( i know it is somehow illegal but students like me cant afford that much money :( ... )

sreniax
Textkit Neophyte

Post by sreniax »

i can give the TLG database , just pm me, and yea i know it is somehow illegal but students like me cant afford it :/

REGUMREX69
Textkit Neophyte

Post by REGUMREX69 »

[quote="sreniax"]Well diogenes is a usefull program but it does nothing without the TLG database, i can give the database just pm me. ( i know it is somehow illegal but students like me cant afford that much money :( ... )[/quote]

My textkit id is SAIRAM as well as REGUMREX69. I'm 82, retired. I asked my son to download Diogenes for me. In looking for some info about it, I came across your post. Would you be so kind as to let me have that TLG database? At my age, I should know better than to go around asking for something like this! But knowledge can be obtained this way too, I guess. I will respect your privacy. How can I get it? Please forgive my ignorance, what is "pm"? If Textkit permits it, could you let me know by email? I have two e-mail addresses, FREEFINDS69@GMAIL.COM & EVERNEW28@AOL.COM

Thanks a mil,
Sincerely,
GSG

Tuesday 3:49 PM PST 2/8/2011 MMXI February 08

Patrinos00
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Patrinos00 »

Chairete guys! Greetings from Patras, Peloponnesos!

A member above talked about the TLG database. Well I have one version of the texts digitized till 2001), but I see that many many other texts are added since then. Do you know anywhere that i can find it, online...

thanks.
Last edited by IreneY on Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: As requested by user

refe
Textkit Neophyte

Post by refe »

What is the benefit of using Diogenes over Perseus? Speed?
εἰς ἔπαινον δόξης τῆς χάριτος αὐτοῦ
http://www.GreekingOut.com

Swth\r
Textkit Fan

Post by Swth\r »

refe wrote:What is the benefit of using Diogenes over Perseus? Speed?
Yes. You can also use it without any access to the internet required.
Dives qui sapiens est...

Scribo
Global Moderator

Post by Scribo »

Swth\r wrote:
WHAT!?!?! Amazing, I mean I have access to TLG for free anyway so this is just icing on the cake, really.
(Occasionally) Working on the following tutorials:

(P)Aristotle, Theophrastus and Peripatetic Greek
Intro Greek Poetry
Latin Historical Prose

Swth\r
Textkit Fan

Post by Swth\r »

Scribo wrote:
Swth\r wrote:
WHAT!?!?! Amazing, I mean I have access to TLG for free anyway so this is just icing on the cake, really.
Υes, but you must at first get to possess the TLG data, which is not included in Diogenes programm.
You can also use with the Latin PHI data. This corpus is availiable for free. You can order it from the Packard Humanities Institute.
Dives qui sapiens est...

pster
Textkit Zealot

Post by pster »

1) Can I get Thucydides for free?

2) Does LSJ and Middle Liddell come with it?

3) When I click on a word for a definition, what happens?

Thanks in advance.

Swth\r
Textkit Fan

Post by Swth\r »

pster wrote:1) Can I get Thucydides for free?
No.
pster wrote:2) Does LSJ and Middle Liddell come with it?
Yes, LSL comes with it, but not Middle Liddell. It comes also the Lewis-Short Latin Dictionary, and The Websters English Dictionary
pster wrote:3) When I click on a word for a definition, what happens?
It shows the lexical entry in the corresponding dictionary, in an new screen, or in split mode. But what is really nice is that you can read any Latin or Greek text without any other book ad hand, and you can find word definition in in the shortest time... You will love this I tell you
Dives qui sapiens est...

pster
Textkit Zealot

Post by pster »

So what exactly makes it better than Perseus? Perseus with two monitors is pretty strong.

Swth\r
Textkit Fan

Post by Swth\r »

pster wrote:So what exactly makes it better than Perseus? Perseus with two monitors is pretty strong.
Nothing more than accessing and managing texts without internet connexion
Dives qui sapiens est...

Ilion
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Ilion »

http://www.piratebayuk.co.uk/nph-tpb.cg ... 6q5s322r30

I have just found this torrent.It contains the TLG library. It works very well with Diogenes, you are only supposed to give the direction of the folder where you have saved TLG database, and Diogenes draws information from there.

Inside the torrent there is also an installation for Antiquarium 2 software. I haven't tried it out, but it seems like of the same type of Diogenes software which works without internet connection and with the TLG database too.

demetri
Textkit Neophyte

Post by demetri »

Is that source LEGAL?

Ilion
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Ilion »

demetri wrote:Is that source LEGAL?
Don't have a clue.

C. S. Bartholomew
Textkit Zealot

Post by C. S. Bartholomew »

demetri wrote:Is that source LEGAL?
In a word. NO. UC Irvine isn't issuing the TLG E-CD
anymore but as far as I know they have not given
up their rights to the TLG-E library.

Listening to remastered Beatles music on utube isn't legal either
does that stop anybody?

just for laughs i tried the link that was posted. It didn't work.
C. Stirling Bartholomew

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

It would be great if there is available an android app edition of diogenes, even if you can have access to only the LSJ lexicon.
There IS an android app named "LSJ" but it's really the middle liddell. Not that it is of little value, but while the bigger LSJ is free on PC, the paid app gives only the abridged edition.(p.s.: It doesn't provide lexical tool either.)

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

After my installation of ubuntu underwent some upgrades into 14.04, the Diogenes software only shows blank home screen(in the Diogenes window), under the usual normal menus and buttons. And the console shows one notice and three errors as below.
Selecting "Preferences" in the "Edit" menu takes me to nowhere else than the same blank screen.
Does anyone knows a remedy?
-----------------------------------------------
No chrome package registered for chrome://branding/locale/brand.properties .
Error: [Exception... "'Component is not available' when calling method: [nsIHandlerService::getTypeFromExtension]" nsresult: "0x80040111 (NS_ERROR_NOT_AVAILABLE)" location: "<unknown>" data: no]
Error: [Exception... "'Component is not available' when calling method: [nsIHandlerService::getTypeFromExtension]" nsresult: "0x80040111 (NS_ERROR_NOT_AVAILABLE)" location: "<unknown>" data: no]
Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520001 (NS_ERROR_FILE_UNRECOGNIZED_PATH) [nsILocalFile.initWithPath]" nsresult: "0x80520001 (NS_ERROR_FILE_UNRECOGNIZED_PATH)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://diogenes/content/diogenes.js :: getPerlExecutable :: line 316" data: no]