Translation Help (First Greek Book)

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Jonathan
Textkit Neophyte

Translation Help (First Greek Book)

Post by Jonathan »

page 58. paragraph 236. question 4.
[size=134]ταῦτα περὶ τῆς στρατιᾶς ἄγγελοι παρὰ τοῦ ἀδελφοῦ ἔλεξαν Κύγτ;/ρῳ πρὸ τῆς μάχης.[/size]

I'm having trouble translating this. I hope what I'm writing makes sense.

Here's an attempt:
"From around the army, these messengers from the brother spoke to Cyrus before the battle."

Any help appreciated. I'd like to know if I'm even close. :oops:

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

The messengers said these things about the army from his brother to Cyrus before the battle.

meaning that this information is from Cyrus' brother.

tauta is these things acc. pl.

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

Emma_85 wrote:The messengers said these things about the army from his brother to Cyrus before the battle.

meaning that this information is from Cyrus' brother.

tauta is these things acc. pl.
May we say "Messengers from his brother said these things to Cyrus about the army before the battle" ?

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Yes, lol, I'm just used my teacher telling me to try and leave each word in the position it's in in Greek :roll: . In German that works out a little better than in English... :P

Actually my teacher would have demanded something like this: These things about the army the messenger from his brother said to Cyrus before the battle.
:? It seems he's right again, though. I should have translated it like he always wants me to, sounds better than what I did at first, lol.

Jonathan
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Jonathan »

Ah...

I was confused as to what [size=134]ταῦτα[/size] was referring. I also assumed that [size=134]περὶ[/size] referred to location, I don't know why; it states right in the vocabulary that with genitive it means "about, concerning". I need to be more observant...

Thanks for the help. 8)