Okus program for Latin?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
CattleoftheSun
Textkit Neophyte

Okus program for Latin?

Post by CattleoftheSun »

Hello everyone,

I stumbled across this website a few weeks ago and have found it to be very helpful.

I have been using the Okus translating tool for a couple of years, and I love it. I've tried to search for a comparable program for Latin, but it's been difficult to find the right words to type into google to describe such a program. I know there is Perseus, but I like Okus better. To me, Okus is easier to use. So, my question is: is anyone aware of an Okus-like program for Latin authors?

Thank you in advance for your help.

-CattleoftheSun

edonnelly
Administrator

Re: Okus program for Latin?

Post by edonnelly »

I'm not familiar with Okus, so I'm not entirely sure what it is you are looking for, but you might want to have a look at Diogenes. It does the Perseus-like morphological searches, but is much easier to use and is installed on your computer locally. It will fully parse words and give a definition from Lewis & Short.

I had mine set up as a local server for a while. I had a custom Firefox search engine set up. I would read a text on one tab of my browser and by right clicking on any word, the other tab would give me the full Perseus parsing of the word. I no longer have it set up like this since I've switched to Chrome, but I'm sure it's just as easy. In any case, even as a stand-alone program Diogenes is very easy to use and amazingly fast (especially when compared to Perseus). It works equally well for Latin and ancient Greek. Of course, it is entirely free.

(I should add that Diogenes was designed to be used with the TLG & PHI texts, but neither of these is needed to use all of the incredibly useful parsing and lookup tools of Diogenes).
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library

CattleoftheSun
Textkit Neophyte

Post by CattleoftheSun »

Thank you very much edonnelley! Diogenes looks like it may be just what I am looking for. I downloaded and installed the program, but I am having a lot of trouble figuring out how to use it. From what I understand, you need to purchase a subscription to access the TLG. But what about the PHI database and Perseus?

Your description of the way you use Diogenes is exactly what I am looking to do. Do I need to download or buy additional software? The Diogenes web page does not seem very helpful to me as far as getting the software up and running.

I appreciate any additionel set-up help you may be able to give to me, edonnelly and anyone else too! Also, thank you once again for directing me to this program.

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

I don't have the TLG or PHI, so you definitely don't need them. I supposed there are some more-integrated things if you do it that way, but the program works just fine for parsing, etc. if you simply copy and paste the word of interest and choose the Action "Parse the inflection of a Greek or Latin word." It doesn't matter what the Corpus option is set to when you do this.

Since the parsing tool not only parses but also gives the definition, I use it exclusively. As long as you have some copy of whatever text you want to read, and if you can copy and paste from it, then you should be good to go. Let me know if you have any trouble.
The lists:

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

How did you devise this "custom firefox search engine" with Diogenes? If it's not too complicated, I'd be interested to know.
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

thesaurus wrote:How did you devise this "custom firefox search engine" with Diogenes? If it's not too complicated, I'd be interested to know.
I wrote this back when it was fresher in my mind:

viewtopic.php?p=61625#p61625

It really was pretty simple as long as the Diogenes server was running (and, if I recall correctly, it will always be running on localhost if you have the program on).

If you have trouble getting it to work, let me know. I ought to look into doing this for chrome.
The lists:

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

edonnelly wrote: I ought to look into doing this for chrome.
Looks like it's pretty easy for chrome. Here's what I did:

1. Right-click on the address bar and choose "Edit search engines"
2. Choose 'Add' to add a search engine.
3. Give the new search engine the following values:
Name: Diogenes
Keyword: Diogenes.cgi
URL: (copy what's in the box below)

Code: Select all

http://localhost:8888/Diogenes.cgi?action=parse&current_pageXXstate=splash&query=%s&go=Go
4. Choose your new Diogenes as the default search engine.
5. Now anytime that you have Diogenes running, if you right click on any Greek or Latin word in Chrome you will have the option to "Search Diogenes for" and clicking that will open up a new tab with the full parsing of the word and appropriate dictionary definitions.

EDIT:
Doing it the above way will make Diogenes replace Google (or whatever you have set up as your default search engine). An alternate way to do all this would be to install the extension "Context Menu Search" which allows multiple right-click search engines. Once you've installed the extension, right click with your mouse, go to "Context Menu Search->Options" and then add a search engine, giving it the name "Diogenes" (or whatever you want, really) and the following for the "LINK":

Code: Select all

http://localhost:8888/Diogenes.cgi?action=parse&current_pageXXstate=splash&go=Go&query=TESTSEARCH
The lists:

CattleoftheSun
Textkit Neophyte

Post by CattleoftheSun »

Thank you for your help edonnelly. This is a really neat program.