Ned heelp please, what are they saying?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Hietanen
Textkit Neophyte

Ned heelp please, what are they saying?

Post by Hietanen »

Hello.

I am wondering if someone here could please help me understand what they are saying in two songs in Latin, the audios can be found here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ4MKnQQfTc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlL_-5VfQJI

In the first track there are no singing except in the end. They are chanting two words, I presume in Latin, which I would like to know what they are saying.
In the second song there are more singing, and if someone is willing to give me the lyrics for these songs I will be much appreciated and humbled.

Thank you very much!
Regards, Hietanen

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Ned heelp please, what are they saying?

Post by thesaurus »

My ear is not attuned to choir music, but I don't hear anything in either song that sounds like Latin to me. This isn't to say that it isn't Latin... I just can't make anything out.

Do you have a reason to suspect that it is Latin versus some other language?
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute

calvinist
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by calvinist »

As treasure box said, it is almost impossible to decipher, and it doesn't necessarily sound like Latin. It's epic, and Latin is epic, but I would bet it's probably not in Latin. Oh yeah, thesaurus means 'treasure box' :wink: .

furrykef
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by furrykef »

calvinist wrote:Oh yeah, thesaurus means 'treasure box' :wink: .
I've always found the false friend with English amusing. I always picture somebody reading something in Latin and it says "and so-and-so found the object of his quest: a great big thesaurus!" and he says aloud, "What's so special about THAT??"
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.

Delirant isti romani!

calvinist
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by calvinist »

furrykef wrote:
calvinist wrote:Oh yeah, thesaurus means 'treasure box' :wink: .
I've always found the false friend with English amusing. I always picture somebody reading something in Latin and it says "and so-and-so found the object of his quest: a great big thesaurus!" and he says aloud, "What's so special about THAT??"
I bet that if you took a poll about .01% of people would associate a thesaurus with any kind of idea like "treasure". It should be called a "similisensus". :idea:

calvinist
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by calvinist »

'Simile est regnum caelorum thesauro abscondito in agro' - Mt 13:44

Who hides a thesaurus in a field? Obviously someone who wants a monopoly on synonyms... :shock:

Hietanen
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Hietanen »

Could it be false Latin with made up words that they are using? If thats the case then we'll never know what they are saying, I guess. Or are they using some other Language? What you think?

Anyway, thank you very much for your help.

Take care!

calvinist
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by calvinist »

It's very difficult to tell by listening. If the lyrics can be found in a written form the members of this site could have the language identified and a translation almost instantly. Along with some interesting side discussions about grammar/syntax/style. :D

dlb
Textkit Member

Post by dlb »

Hietanen wrote:Hello.

I am wondering if someone here could please help me understand what they are saying in two songs in Latin, the audios can be found here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ4MKnQQfTc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlL_-5VfQJI

In the first track there are no singing except in the end. They are chanting two words, I presume in Latin, which I would like to know what they are saying.
In the second song there are more singing, and if someone is willing to give me the lyrics for these songs I will be much appreciated and humbled.

Thank you very much!
Regards, Hietanen
This is not the song your post references but it does give a clue as to the lyricists leanings.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O4d6HFMed0
Deus me ducet, non ratio.
Observito Quam Educatio Melius Est.