Xenophon 1:2.7

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Shine
Textkit Neophyte

Xenophon 1:2.7

Post by Shine »

ενταυθα κυρῳ βασιλεια ην και παραδεισος μεγας αγριων θηριων πληρης, α εκεινος εθηρευεν απο ιππου, οποτε γυμνάσαι βουλοιτο εαυτον τε και τους ιππους
I'm having trouble translating this sentence from the place ὁποτε γυμνάσαι...
γυμνασαι is aor opt
βουλοιτο is opt pres
1.I think it should be opt obliqus, is it?
2.If I'm right it is Acc cum Inf, Acc is ἑαυτον Inf is missing(εἶναι) but then where is Verbum regens?

Clemens
Textkit Member

Post by Clemens »

γυμνάσαι is Inf. Aor. Akt.

1. I think it is an optativus iterativus in this case but I'm not too sure...
2. I don't think that it is an AcI...

I would translate it that way:

There Cyrus had a palace and a big park full of wild animals, which he hunted on horsback, whenever he wished to train himself and the horses.

(Sorry for the bad English...)

Clemens :)
Last edited by Clemens on Fri Oct 17, 2003 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shine
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Shine »

Clemens wrote:γυμνάσαι is Inf. Aor. Akt.
Inf aor act would be γυμνᾶσαι with circumflex
1. I think it is an optativus iterativus in this case but I'm not too sure...
probably You are right, how cood I forgot about that? :wink: thanks for refreshing my memory
2. I don't think that it is an AcI...
I dont think this way any more either
I would translate it that way:
There Cyrus had a palace and a big park full of wild animals, which he hunted on horsback, whenever he wished to train himself and the horses.
I think it is the only right way to translate this sentence
(Sorry for the bad English...)
Clemens
My English is not perfect as well :wink:

Clemens
Textkit Member

Post by Clemens »

Shine wrote:Inf aor act would be γυμνᾶσαι with circumflex
No, it is infinitive, look at Perseus...:)

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Xenophon 1:2.7

Post by Skylax »

Shine wrote: 2.If I'm right it is Acc cum Inf, Acc is ἑαυτον Inf is missing(εἶναι) but then where is Verbum regens?
As Clemens suggested, there is no AcI (infinitive clause) : γυμνάσαι (active voice) is direct object of βούλοιτο, while ἑαυτόν and τοὺς ἵππους are direct objects of γυμνάσαι

P.S. What is a Verbum regens ? Is it "I think" in "I think that this sentence is a bit complicated ?" (In French, we use a French terminology)

Shine
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Shine »

Clemens wrote:No, it is infinitive, look at Perseus...:)
Yes, it is... I was just thinking:as λῦσαι is aor inf and λύσαι is opt aor act, then γυμνάσαι should be also opt
Amazing how I can make simple things so difficult, next time I should be more attentive :)
What is a Verbum regens ?
ἴσμεν τὸν (ηρόδοτον (ιστορίαν γράψαι ἴσμεν is Verbum regens, the same in Latin and English
Scimus(v.r) Herodotum(Acc) Historiam scripsisse(Inf)
We know(v.r) him(Acc) being crazy(Inf)

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

I tried to find out how to say "Thanks" in Lithuanian, but the only dictionary available on-line was a Polish-Lithuanian one. Thus, first, I had to consult an
English-Polish dictionary, nex the Polish-Lithanian one. It was a bit disappointing, because of the diacritics. Now : ACIU or DEKUI (please explain the difference).

Shine
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Shine »

Sorry for not unswering for so long, had a nightmare week and this one seems to be even worse
Skylax wrote:I tried to find out how to say "Thanks" in Lithuanian
:D :) :wink:
It was a bit disappointing, because of the diacritics. Now : ACIU or DEKUI (please explain the difference).
difference?ok I`l try
ACIU:C you should pronounce as 'Ch' like Chokolate, IU like U in german word 'tchus' (not sure how properly to write this one), you don`t need to pronounce I it only indicates that U is soft, and the accent goes on A (just don`t know wich one circumflex or acutus)
DEKUI: is a shorten form from verb dekoju, wich meens 'gratias ago'
E like in english 'get' only a bit longer, UI the same as latin 'cui' from quis, and accent is on E
P.S the meaning is the same :)