ou) in Iliad 1:86

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Bert
Textkit Zealot

ou) in Iliad 1:86

Post by Bert »

Iliad 1:86- οὐ μὰ γὰρ )απόλλωνα διίφιλον, ᾧ τε σύ, κάλχαν,

What does οὐ mean in this sentence. It surely can't mean -not- or -no- can it?
Achilles' reply to Calchas would not be very heartening if it was; No, by Jove, I will not help you.

How do I understand this?

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

Hi Bert,

I think it does indeed have negative force. The sense is something like:
"For not, by Apollo....will anyone strike you...".

You might think of the οὔ in line 88 as recalling the οὐ in line 86.

Cordially,

Paul

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

Thanks Paul;
I see it now. The verb that is being negated is "way down" in line 89, ἐποίσει . I took line 86 as referring back to εἴ με σαώσεις of line 83.

One more question about this same line (86). How do we get the -by- from - for by Apollo, the beloved of Zeus...-
Is )απόλλωνα διίφιλον and accusative of ....... (fill in the blank) that gives it this meaning?

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

Hello Bert,

Easiest is to quote from the Intermediate LSJ entry for μά:"a particle used in strong protestations and oaths, followed by the accusative of the deity or thing appealed to;...".

But to avoid leaving it as a kind of 'just so' story, consider that Smyth says this particle/adverb takes the accusative in its character as 'object affected'. I suppose that to swear so was in some way 'to move' the invoked deity.

Cordially,

Paul