Textkit Logo

Meaning of laetari

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

Meaning of laetari

Postby pmda » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:23 pm

Orberg in LLPSI Cap XIV has Syra telling Marcus: "Noli tristis esse quod hic intus cubas: immo laetare te non inclusum esse in cubiculo ut fratrem tuum!

Earlier in LLPSI we had (somwhere I'm sure) One character saying to another: "Laeta es!"

Orberg explains laetare as : the imperative of laetari.

Now Prior and Wholberg's 501 Latin Verbs he doesn't mention this... But I remember that (usually? / always?) the present infinitive of a verb is also the passive infinitive of that verb.

Do I have that right?
pmda
Textkit Zealot

Re: Meaning of laetari

Postby Perseus » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:22 pm

laetari is "deponens" which means this kind of verbs never declined in active form but they have only passive form.
with this kind of verbs you should not ask "why this is passive in this sentence." This kind of verbs only come with passive form anyway. See page 124.
Perseus
Textkit Neophyte

Postby adrianus » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:41 pm

pmda wrote:One character saying to another: "Laeta es!"

"Laetus -a -um" illîc adjectivum est.
pmda wrote:...I remember that (usually? / always?) the present infinitive of a verb is also the passive infinitive of that verb.

Do I have that right?

"present passive imperative" you mean, I think, pmda. That's right, if it has a present [active] infinitive.
"Imperativum passivae vocis praesenti tempore" vis dicere, ut puto, pmda. Rectè dicis, si ista forma habeatur.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.
adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Postby pmda » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:21 pm

gratias tibi ago.
pmda
Textkit Zealot

Return to Learning Latin