Some more questions / answers from Cap XXIII LLPSI Exercitia

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
pmda
Textkit Zealot

Some more questions / answers from Cap XXIII LLPSI Exercitia

Post by pmda »

EXERCITIA 11

1. Quid Marcus parentibus suis promittit?

Marcus 'se puerum bonum futurum esse' promittit.

2. Cur pater non credit eum promissum facturum esse?

Quia Marcus idem semper antehac promisit.

3. Verberatne Iulius Marcum?

Marcus non verberatum est a Iulio.

4. Quid Iulius Davum facere iubet?

Iulius Davum clavem Cubiculi Marci se [ipsi (dat?) ? ] reddere iubet.

5. Cur Medus hodie Marcum comitari non potuit?

Heri Medus domo fugit.

6. Quis Marcum comitabitur cras?

Davus eum comitaturus est/ Davus eum comiturus est (?).

7. Quid Aemilia Iulium facturum esse putat?

Ea eum Marcum verberaturum esse putat.

8. Num Iulius credit Marcum iam mutatum esse?

Iulius id non credit.

9. Ad quem Iulius epistulam scripturus est?

Iulius ad Diodorum epistulam scribet.

10. A quo epistula Iulii tradetur magistro?

Epistula Iulii a Medo laturus est posthac Marcus eam Diodoro traditurus est.

11. Quid Iulius magistro respondebit?

Iulius nihil merdedem Magistro soluturus esse dicet.

12. Cur IUlius magistro mercedem negat?

Iulius Magistrum mercedem non merere putat.

13. Cur magister Marcum nihil docere potest?

Quia Marcus nihil discere vult.

furrykef
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Some more questions / answers from Cap XXIII LLPSI Exercitia

Post by furrykef »

pmda wrote:3. Verberatne Iulius Marcum?

Marcus non verberatum est a Iulio.
You've got incorrect case agreement here: "verberātum" is accusative and "Mārcus" is nominative. (Also, if you want to answer in the same tense as the question, it should be "nōn verberātur".)

I forget... can one use "ā" before consonantal "i", or must one use "ab" in that case?
pmda wrote:4. Quid Iulius Davum facere iubet?

Iulius Davum clavem Cubiculi Marci se [ipsi (dat?) ? ] reddere iubet.
The dative of "sē" is "sibi".
pmda wrote:6. Quis Marcum comitabitur cras?

Davus eum comitaturus est/ Davus eum comiturus est (?).
Why not just "Dāvus eum comitābitur"? You would only need to use the future participle in indirect speech: Iūlius dīcit Dāvum eum comitātūrum esse.
pmda wrote:10. A quo epistula Iulii tradetur magistro?

I have to admit I don't understand either the question or the answer... I do think you probably have no need to use the future participle, though (as was the case with question 6).
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.

Delirant isti romani!

Craig_Thomas
Textkit Member

Post by Craig_Thomas »

furrykef wrote:I forget... can one use "ā" before consonantal "i", or must one use "ab" in that case?
There are 18 instances of "a Iulio" in the texts on the Latin Library website: http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&b ... =&aql=&oq=

Against "about 2" instances of "ab Iulio": http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&b ... =&aql=&oq=

And similar results with "a/ab Iunone", "a/ab Iove", "a/ab iugo" and all others I tried.
pmda wrote:10. A quo epistula Iulii tradetur magistro?

From furrykef's advice, and from your other thread, you know now to use finite verbs and not participles for future perfect constructions, so I'll let you sort that bit out yourself.

I think it's Davus, and not Medus, who is to take the letter.

And "posthac" is, I think, incorrect here. It's an adverb and means something like "from this time on" (as earlier in this chapter: "Posthac Marcum sine comite ambulare non sinam.") What you need here is a conjunction; "et" would do, or "et deinde". Or you could use "postquam" and the future perfect: "Postquam the letter is taken by Davus, it will be given to the teacher by Marcus." Or just a comma.

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Post by pmda »

@craig_thomas @furrykef .. in 10. I'm trying to say that Medus will carry the letter but that Marcus will hand it to the magister. I'm using future participles because a large part of the point of the chapter is to teach them... I know it's artificial but it's just for the purpose of learning the correct forms:

So Orberg has:

1) Miles: 'Fortiter pugnaturus sum' - and he explains in the margin: 'pugnaturus sum' = pugnabo.

2) Marcus: "Posthac bonus discipulus futurus sum' - then moving to "Marcus dicit 'se posthac bonum discipulum futurum esse...'."

so in answer to 10. A quo epistula Iulii tradetur magistro? [By whom will Iulius' letter be given to the teacher]

I'm trying to say that it will carried by Medus but handed over by Marcus. I note your point about 'posthac'.

How about: Epistula Iulii a Medo laturus est; at deinde a Marco Diodoro traditurus est. ?

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

"posthaec" seu "post haec" seu "posthoc" seu "post hoc" seu "post hinc", pro "posthac". Res confundit. It's confusing.
Note that "epistula" is feminine.
Nota: feminini generis epistulae nomen,
Last edited by adrianus on Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Post by pmda »

Thanks to you both for all your help..

So '...latura....traditura est..'

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Ita, et traditura...
Post scriptum.
Benè. Alterum addidisti.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Craig_Thomas
Textkit Member

Post by Craig_Thomas »

pmda wrote:How about: Epistula Iulii a Medo laturus est; at deinde a Marco Diodoro traditurus est. ?
The future participle means something like "about to..." or "going to...". It's active, and it's often used to state someone's intention. The soldier says "I am going to fight bravely", and the boy says "I am going to be a good student from now on."

What you've written means: Julius' letter is going to carry from Medus, and then it's going to hand to Diodorus from Marcus.

You'll have to rewrite either with "feretur" and "tradetur", or with Medus and Marcus as subjects.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Craig_Thomas is right, of course: the future participle is active. I'm being sloppy and not paying attention.
Rectè dicit, Craig_Thomas, activum participium futurum esse. Malè rem cogito et non attendo.

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Post by pmda »

of course! Doh! Being sloppy myself....

Epistula Iulii a Medo feretur; at deinde a Marco Diodoro tradetur,

I very much appreciate your help. The fact that the future participle hasn't really a passive form has been explained to me before..