Beginning Greek

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
hokeyloki
Textkit Neophyte

Beginning Greek

Post by hokeyloki »

I am about to start studies for a bachelor's in philosophy/linguistics. I need either two years of indo european or on year of a non indoeuropean language in order to get the linguistics degree. I can only devote three quarters to a language, but I need to at least have some background in latin and greek. I have just begun to study Greek on my own and it doesn't seem too difficult, although it would be nice to be in a classroom where people are speaking the language all the time. Should I take a year of Chinese, or get through either beginning first year Greek or Latin on my own, and then take the second year at the university? Either option would satisfy the language requirement for the degree.

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Beginning Greek

Post by thesaurus »

I would study whichever languages you are more interested in. If you want to do advanced work in linguistics, think carefully about what sort of research you'd like to do. If I were you, I'd study Chinese because I'm come to appreciate the usefulness of spoken languages, but to each her own.

Since you're looking forward to a classroom where people are speaking ancient Greek "all the time," I'm sorry to say you'll be disappointed. Unless your professor is incredibly eccentric, you'll hear virtually no Greek spoken--just shaky recitations of whatever texts you're studying. Same with Latin (although perhaps less shaky with the pronunciation).
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Re: Beginning Greek

Post by Markos »

Should I take a year of Chinese, or get through either beginning first year Greek or Latin on my own, and then take the second year at the university?
The problem with learning Chinese is that a few hours later you want to learn it again. :D
Since you're looking forward to a classroom where people are speaking ancient Greek "all the time," I'm sorry to say you'll be disappointed. Unless your professor is incredibly eccentric, you'll hear virtually no Greek spoken--just shaky recitations of whatever texts you're studying.
This is, alas, very true. There are a few teachers and resources which do promote Ancient Greek as a spoken language, but the going is tough.

On the other hand, I will always recommend learning Greek because life is short. Meet beauty where you can while you can.
οὐ μανθάνω γράφειν, ἀλλὰ γράφω τοῦ μαθεῖν.