Evanuit

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Evanuit

Post by adrianus »

Sempernunc wrote:Re: The importance of translation: a begginer's [sic] question
What happened to the thread created by new member Sempernunc? Laura Gibbs responded, dlb and I did, but it disappeared.

Quid filo à Sempernunc sodale tirone facto contigit? Et ego et Laura Gibbs et dlb respondere. Id autem evanuit.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

edonnelly
Administrator

Re: Evanuit

Post by edonnelly »

I read it, and even checked out the pdf Laura Gibbs posted about. Curiously, if you click on your username and click on the option to see your posts, you can see your answer, but following the link on the post you get "The requested topic does not exist." It looks like it was partially, but not completely, deleted. How and by whom I don't know. Maybe the original poster?

EDIT: Actually, I just went and looked at one of my own threads, and there's no option to delete it, so it must have been either a computer glitch or a moderator, but I can't see why anyone would have deleted it on purpose.
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Maybe a computer glitch, as you say, ed.
Forsàn error computatrale, ut dicis, edouarde.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

All of sempernunc's posts, including the beginning of the thread, were waiting approval, and I just approved them. They should appear now (they don't appear until they are approved). I was surprised to see that people were able to respond to them before the posts were approved, so it must have been some kind of glitch.
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute

Sempernunc
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Sempernunc »

Hehe, I can explain.

The rule (as I found out later) is that the first 2 posts one makes must be moderator approved. My first post was my question thread.
After it was approved ~12h later, I posted again in the Open Board. This morning, when I saw the replies to my thread, I forgot that my 2nd post had not yet been approved, and posted a reply.
It was held up for approval.
Being impatient, I tried to cheat by editing the opening post of my existing thread, adding a note at the end saying "the moderators are holding up my reply" to explain my long silence.

This backfired, causing the whole thread to plunge back into approval limbo. And that's the story of how I broke Textkit.

veni, dixi, fregi?

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

That's actually pretty funny. Well, now you're at 4, so post all you want to. And welcome to textkit!
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library