Anyone know of an online university offering Latin

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
garyd777
Textkit Neophyte

Anyone know of an online university offering Latin

Post by garyd777 »

I am interested in pursuing Latin, and getting a Masters degree in the same. I speak several languages, but not latin (very well yet) Anyone know of an online course where I can pursue this goal ?
Its appreciated.

edonnelly
Administrator

Re: Anyone know of an online university offering Latin

Post by edonnelly »

Just curious, but why the need for the degree?
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library

garyd777
Textkit Neophyte

Post by garyd777 »

Masters Degree is required for my job.
I'd love to have the same in a field I enjoy.

Westcott
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Westcott »

I don't think any of the 'online universities' do such a thing, since classics are not a profitable subject for them. Even the universities that offer programs through some alternate route use correspondence and short residencies rather than online teaching. I'm not too broken up about that, since I think that personal immersion in an academic environment is a more beneficial route, especially when it comes to languages. If you have an opportunity to do this the traditional way, it might be worth the logistical struggle. Even though your options may be limited, I think University of Florida has a master's program in Latin with summer residencies. You can also pursue master's degrees in Classics at several South African universities. UNISA is well known as a provider of distance education. Cape Town and Stellenbosch may require some summer residency, but are better thought of if you can convince them to let you work from a distance.

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

garyd777 wrote:Masters Degree is required for my job.
I'd love to have the same in a field I enjoy.
Then I would be very careful about pursuing online degrees unless you are sure that both (1) the program is accredited and (2) your employer would recognize that degree as fulfilling the requirement. There are some legitimate and non-legitimate online learning places (I don't know about what is offered in the classics). Just be sure that if this is something your career depends upon that you get something that will be valuable not only to your current employer but also to any other should you ever change jobs.
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library

Westcott
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Westcott »

edonnelly wrote:Then I would be very careful about pursuing online degrees unless you are sure that both (1) the program is accredited and (2) your employer would recognize that degree as fulfilling the requirement. There are some legitimate and non-legitimate online learning places (I don't know about what is offered in the classics). Just be sure that if this is something your career depends upon that you get something that will be valuable not only to your current employer but also to any other should you ever change jobs.
Good points. I can’t help regarding employer perception, especially regarding foreign or out-of-state universities, but here’s something regarding legitimacy:

To determine if an American university is accredited by a recognized accrediting body, check the US Dept of Education database.

To determine if a university in the United Kingdom can grant degrees based on a Royal Charter or Act of Parliament, check the UK Department of Education database. Many universities in the British Commonwealth hold Royal Charters (I’m sure the three South African ones I mentioned do), but the South African government also has an accreditation body called SAQA you can check.

Good luck!

Again, Gary D., if you’re able to do this at a reasonably local university, it would probably both improve your experience as well as resolve any employer questions.

ivanus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ivanus »

The University of Florida offers a Masters in Latin: http://web.classics.ufl.edu/distance/master.html.

I did a lot of looking a year or so ago and this is the only program that I was able to find. Unfortunately, I needed the undergrad programme.

Good Luck in your searching.

Bedell
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Bedell »

Try the University of Lampeter's site for the MA in Classics, Pathway Latin.

http://www.trinitysaintdavid.ac.uk/en/c ... aclassics/

or MA Classical Lanaguage and Literature

http://www.trinitysaintdavid.ac.uk/en/c ... iterature/
nothing should arouse more suspicion than a cross-party consensus - Antidemocritus fl. 2010