Textkit Logo

Xenophon Translation Question

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Xenophon Translation Question

Postby aprotosimaki » Sun Jun 15, 2003 3:57 pm

I am in the process of teaching myself ancient Greek. To that end I am translating Xenophon's Ways and Means. I think I understand the syntax of the following sentence but I am not totally sure. Part of my doubt is centred on the exceeding complexity of the syntactical rules that I am citing. To put it another way, I may be over thinking the sentence. Advice or feedback would be greatfully received. Anyway, here is the sentence (I-1 Ways and Means)<br />[face=SPIonic][size=18=18]<br />nomi/zwn, ei) tou=to ge/noito, a\(ma th=| peni/a| au)tw=n <br />e)pikekourh=sqai a)\n kai\ tw=| u(po/ptouj toi=j (/Ellhsin <br />ei)/nai<br />[/face][/size]<br /><br />[face=SPIonic][size=18=18] e)pikoure/w[/face][/size]: to aid, to keep it off from one, to acts as an ally<br /><br />Trans:<br />I believe, if this should occur (i.e. that the Athenians become self-sufficient), there would be a lessening in their level of poverty as well as a decrease in the suspicions that the Greek world has about them.<br /><br />The section I have had a particular problem with is:<br /><br />[face=SPIonic]tw=| u(po/ptouj toi=j (/Ellhsin ei)/nai[/face]<br /><br />I am taking this is an articular infinitive; dative because it is governed by the compound verb: [face=SPIonic] e)pikekourh=sqai[/face]<br /><br />The accusative plural [face=SPIonic]u(po/ptouj[/face] I explain by invoking the rule that articular infinitives use the accusative+infinitive construction. <br /><br />I explain [face=SPIonic] (/Ellhsin [/face] as a dative of possessor: i.e. the suspicions held by the Greeks<br /><br />Finally the whole clause is wrapped up in the apodosis of a Future Less Vivid in indirect discourse (thereby explaining the[face=SPIonic] a)/n [/face] that proceeds this clause).<br /><br />Seems alot of explanation for just one small part of one sentence! However, it is the only meaningful one that I can come up with (but I am careful to distinguish here between meaningfulness and truth). <br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />Aprotosimaki<br />
phpbb
aprotosimaki
Textkit Neophyte

Re:Xenophon Translation Question

Postby Skylax » Sun Jun 15, 2003 6:25 pm

[quote author=aprotosimaki]<br />I am taking this is an articular infinitive; dative because it is governed by the compound verb: e)pikekourh=sqai<br />
<br /><br />Indeed, but this dative (as well as th=| peni/a|) don't denote here the one who receives help (as in e)pikourei=n th=| patri/di "to bring help to the homeland") but the thing against what help is brought to somebody, as in e)pikourei=n tw=| limw=| "to bring help against starvation", "to protect (sb) from starvation". This use seems peculiar to Xenophon.<br /><br />[quote author=aprotosimaki]<br />I explain [face=SPIonic] (/Ellhsin [/face] as a dative of possessor: i.e. the suspicions held by the Greeks<br />
<br />It is more likely a dative after u(/poptoj "suspected by", "suspect to"<br /><br />All other explanations seems right to me.<br /><br />Regards,<br />Fernand
Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Re:Xenophon Translation Question

Postby aprotosimaki » Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:40 pm

Fernand,<br /><br />Thanks for the analysis and comments. Your clarification on the meaning of "epikourew" is duly noted and has been added to word list. <br /><br />After some thought I too agree that "Hellesin" is in the dative because it is governed by "upoptous" rather than being a dative of possessor. I took "upoptous" as a substantive whereas it is clearly an adjective in aggreement with the accusative plural of Athenians (assumed). <br /><br />Thanks again for taking the time to look over my question,<br /><br />Aprotosimaki
phpbb
aprotosimaki
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Greek