Please translate it

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Perseus
Textkit Neophyte

Please translate it

Post by Perseus »

I am grateful if someone translate it for me:

Apocalypsis 22:21 Latin: Biblia Sacra Vulgata:

non auferetur sceptrum de Iuda et dux de femoribus eius donec veniat
qui mittendus est et ipse erit expectatio gentium

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Please translate it

Post by adrianus »

I think that you should just look up an English-language Bible.
Consilium meum tibi est hoc: in bibliam anglicam inquire.

http://www.latinvulgate.com/verse.aspx?t=0&b=1&c=49

Post scriptum

Vide http://bible.cc/genesis/49-10.htm
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

dlb
Textkit Member

Post by dlb »

Perseus wrote:I am grateful if someone translate it for me:

Apocalypsis 22:21 Latin: Biblia Sacra Vulgata:

non auferetur sceptrum de Iuda et dux de femoribus eius donec veniat
qui mittendus est et ipse erit expectatio gentium
You can go here: http://www.fourmilab.ch/etexts/www/Vulgate/
Find the book, chapter and verse, go to the bottom of the page and click on:This book in: English עברית
Deus me ducet, non ratio.
Observito Quam Educatio Melius Est.

Perseus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Perseus »

Actually I meant to ask the word "Shilo" is equivalent of which word in Latin version?

10.The sceptre shall not depart from Judah, nor a lawgiver from between his feet, until Shiloh come; and unto him shall the gathering of the people be.

10.non auferetur sceptrum de Iuda et dux de femoribus eius donec veniat qui mittendus est et ipse erit expectatio gentium

Perseus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Perseus »

I think Shilo is placed for mittendus? If so, what is mittendus? Is it noun of the verb mitto?

jamesbath
Textkit Member

Post by jamesbath »

Perseus wrote:I think Shilo is placed for mittendus? If so, what is mittendus? Is it noun of the verb mitto?
I am far from a Biblical scholar but I want to chime in anyway. Perhaps "Shiloh" is implied in the word "veniat"; such as: until it comes... until Shiloh comes... or until the congregation at Shiloh assembles.

brookter
Textkit Member

Post by brookter »

Perseus wrote: 10.non auferetur sceptrum de Iuda et dux de femoribus eius donec veniat qui mittendus est et ipse erit expectatio gentium
I'm also finding this confusing, because I genuinely don't see how any of the available English translations (see this page http://www.biblestudytools.com/genesis/ ... mpare.html relate to the Latin.

My Latin is not good, so please correct this with vigour, but couldn't a rough translation of the latter part of the sentence (after donec) be something like
'... until he should come who is to be sent and he himself will be the expectation / hope of the peoples'?

I.e. mittendus is the future passive participle of mitto - 'is to be sent'

I can't find a definiton of expectatio in Lewis and Short online (the entry exists, but it points nowhere), but Words and other dictionaries define it as 'expectation, suspense' - no hint of obedience.

After thought
I've just noticed that one (just one) of the translations on that page is on the same lines -
Genesis 49:10 RHE
Douay-Rheims
The sceptre shall not be taken away from Juda, nor a ruler from his thigh, till he come that is to be sent, and he shall be the expectation of nations.
The King James Version has 'and unto him shall the gathering of the people be'. More modern versions have phrases like 'and unto him shall the obedience of the peoples be'

Is there any linguistic reason for these differences in translation? (ie other than the standard 'let's take this opportunity to "enhance" the original' reasons why translations differ?)

Regards

David

Perseus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Perseus »

After some research this is my conclusion:

The Hebrew word for Shilo is the following:
שילה (Genesis 49:10)
It has slighly another form like the following elsewhere:
שלה (Isiah 8:6; Joshua 18:1,8,9,10; 19:51; 21:2; 22:9; 22:12)
Meaning of this Hebrew word is “who will be sent”.
In Latin version, this word is not translated into Latin and the same Hebrew word is used in Latin version as Silo in Joshua Book and Siloe in Isiah Book.
But only in Genesis 49:10, Shilo is translated to latin word: mittendus.