sacrificing to gods

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
sinhakumara
Textkit Neophyte

sacrificing to gods

Post by sinhakumara »

A big Hello to all the friends ! I have two questions for my very knowledgeable friends on Greek matters. First one is - What were the various greek names given to the 'ritual sacrifice' of the beasts conducted at the beginning or conclusion of a major event in the course of an expedition ? Secondly - How was the Viscera/ entrails of the sacrificed beast interpreted to be a good or bad Omen ...? Scholars to my aid please......! Sinhakumara. :roll:

zeugma
Textkit Neophyte

Re: sacrificing to gods

Post by zeugma »

Hey, that looks like a lot of (fun) source language searching!

sinhakumara
Textkit Neophyte

Post by sinhakumara »

And mega-curious though I have been all this while, none of my scholar friends have been able to enlighten me on the above subject !! I mean surely somebody would be knowing ! :cry:

Lex
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lex »

I don't know anything about Greek sacrifices, but I've heard of the Roman suovitaurilia. It's a sacrifice of a pig (su-s), a ram (ovi-s), and a bull (taur-us). No llamas, thank goodness. Don't know if you'd be interested in that.
I, Lex Llama, super genius, will one day rule this planet! And then you'll rue the day you messed with me, you damned dirty apes!

jamesbath
Textkit Member

Post by jamesbath »

sinhakumara wrote:A big Hello to all the friends ! I have two questions for my very knowledgeable friends on Greek matters. First one is - What were the various greek names given to the 'ritual sacrifice' of the beasts conducted at the beginning or conclusion of a major event in the course of an expedition ? Secondly - How was the Viscera/ entrails of the sacrificed beast interpreted to be a good or bad Omen ...? Scholars to my aid please......! Sinhakumara. :roll:
Here is an interesting link to ancient Greek festivals that might help you in your search: http://www.fjkluth.com/festival.html

parjanya
Textkit Neophyte

Post by parjanya »

I may be wrong, but the primary sources about greek sacrifice are scarce (no śrauta sūtra texts here...), and probably contradictory, as most things surely were different according to time and place. So your question is quite naturally difficult to answer. I can only refer you to what my google-fu could find:
Please inform about your advances... it's an interesting subject.