Why Accusative: O, miseros nautas....

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
pmda
Textkit Zealot

Why Accusative: O, miseros nautas....

Post by pmda »

In LLPSI cap. XX Orberg has Aemilia say:

O, miseros nautas, qui numquam domum revertentur! O, miseros liberos nautarum, qui post hanc tempestatem patres suos non videbunt!"

Clearly she's not addressing the nautae nor the liberi and so they could not be in vocative case.

But why accusative?

..and why especially when they are both the subject of the sentences (that end in passive verbs)?

Does the exclamation 'O!' take accusative the object which follows...? That would seem the most likely reason to me.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Why Accusative: O, miseros nautas....

Post by adrianus »

"Miseros nautas!" = "What wretched sailors!"
pmda wrote:Does the exclamation 'O!' take accusative the object which follows...? That would seem the most likely reason to me.
Yes indeed, accusative in exclamations! Ita quidem, exclamationis est accusativo casui servire.
just as in "Silly me!" // sicut "Me miserum!"
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Perseus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Perseus »

Have you seen this dedicated forum to LLPSI?
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11400

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Yes. So what! There is nothing helpful there on this topic.
Iterum. Quid meâ refert? Nihil ibi est quod hanc rem spectat.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Perseus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Perseus »

And now you are spamming the forum by saying the same thing in multiple places. :?

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

It's not spamming to try to restore sense to a thread in responding to a spam. Nor am I repeating myself in any way.
Saginationem non spargo qui epistulae tuae respondendo sensum fili reducere tenem. Nec alterutro modo me repeto.