easy method to memorise declension and conjugation

Are you learning Latin with D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback and comments from others.
mohit
Textkit Neophyte

easy method to memorise declension and conjugation

Post by mohit »

Which is the most easy method to memorise declension and conjugation? As I use english as third language declension songs are not helping me.
gururbramha gururvishnuhu gururdevo maheshvaraha
guruhu sakshat parahbrahma tasmai shrigurave namaha

Hampie
Textkit Member

Re: easy method to memorise declension and conjugation

Post by Hampie »

Write out the entire paradigms over, and over, and over, and over again. Then read them aloud over, and over, and over againd. After a while you will havbe memorized them, and then write them down, or chant them aloud, over and over and ocer again. Booring, but it does the trick!
Här kan jag i alla fall skriva på svenska, eller hur?

Lex
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lex »

Two words: flash cards. Put a declined/conjugated word on one side, and the translation and part of speech (in English or your native language, whatever works best for you) on the other side. For instance, put "regitis" on one side of the card, and "to rule; present indicative active, 2nd person plural" on the flip side. You could also put "3rd conjugation" on the flip side, if you need that. For verbs, make up one for each conjugated form of regular verb forms, e.g. amō, monēo, regō, capiō, and audiō, and all their conjugations. You can also do the same for deponent verbs, if you are that far along, and irregular forms. Once you have a bunch made up, shuffle them. Then quiz yourself. Then shuffle, turn the deck over (translation side up <-> Latin side up), and do it again, the other way around. Split the deck, turn half the deck over, and then shuffle them, and quiz yourself again. This way, you have to remember the words out of the normal order you use for listing them (NVAGD, or whatever), and starting from either the Latin word or starting from the translation/part of speech. It may sound childish, but if you can remember them this way, you have them down cold. You won't be relying on your normal list order as a crutch.
I, Lex Llama, super genius, will one day rule this planet! And then you'll rue the day you messed with me, you damned dirty apes!

dlb
Textkit Member

Post by dlb »

mohit wrote:Which is the most easy method to memorise declension and conjugation? As I use english as third language declension songs are not helping me.
As Hampie said, "Repetito est mater studiorum."
Deus me ducet, non ratio.
Observito Quam Educatio Melius Est.