New Members Introduction Thread (New Users Post Here!)

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
SmartAxe
Textkit Neophyte

Salvete!

Post by SmartAxe »

Hello. I'm a Latin teacher who would like to practice my Latin with like-minded people. I would also like some help with our school's Latin motto. The original meaning seems to have been lost over the years. Anyhoo, nice to meet you all. It's nice to find a Latin forum that is so active.

anandam
Textkit Neophyte

Re: New Members Introduction Thread (New Users Post Here!)

Post by anandam »

Hello,

My first post on the forum.
My name is anandam,
I am from Japan.
I have learned Latin for a few months with textbooks written in Japanese.
I found this forum just recently and want to learn more with D'Ooge's.
I also want to learn Biblical Greek as well.

Best regards,
Anandam

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

pipusmar wrote:I'm at the beginning of learning Biblical Greek using 'Elements of New Testement Greek' by Duff (Cambridge university press). I'm really enjoying it - I translated my first sentence today! 'The brother sees a house'. On Reformastion Sunday as well, how apt.
χαῖρε, ὦ Πίπε. :)
So, doesn't NT Greek use βλέπω to mean "I see"? I naturally would say ὁ ἀδελφὸς οἰκίαν ὁρᾷ, but then I was thinking about it, and I thought that if I saw this in the NT it would come out as ὁ ἀδελφὸς οἰκίαν/οἶκον βλέπει. Is this how you translated it?

Thanks! :)

Norm Paul
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Norm Paul »

I have always been interested in Latin and now with this site I hope to be able to move forward and explore this wonderful language.

Thank you for creating this site.

RosebudCasterwill
Textkit Neophyte

Post by RosebudCasterwill »

Hi!
I'm new here. I have zero knowledge of Latin and pretty good knowledge of English. I'm hoping this site will help me learn latin.

NEWMEMBER
Textkit Neophyte

Post by NEWMEMBER »

:D Hello, my name is Glenn and I would like to improve my biblical greek. It has been a long while since i had any lessons on it and would like to use it more properly. Hope to become profecient at it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,
Glenn

tomwalmsley48
Textkit Neophyte

Post by tomwalmsley48 »

I want to be able to read the New Testament in Greek. That's my only ambition as regards learning the language.

arborvitae
Textkit Neophyte

Post by arborvitae »

My name is Jason and I am am a junior in college online, pursuing BA in Religious Studies. Want to learn Latin and Greek without having to take the classes.
Thanks for the help

sheldon
Textkit Neophyte

Post by sheldon »

Hello all, I hope to learn to read ancient Latin texts before I take the big sleep. I will be 60 this January so I shall have to be about it soon. I live in Washington state about 125 miles south of Seattle. I apologize for the Bush years but they were not my choice. The same for Reagan and Nixon. Best regards, Sheldon.

toby cocker
Textkit Neophyte

Post by toby cocker »

Hi! I am a college student in Ohio, studying music and french. Having not received a classical education, it is necessary that take the matter into my own hands and teach myself (with the help of the forum, of course). I'm looking forward to learning with everyone.

-toby

antoniotorresloya
Textkit Neophyte

Post by antoniotorresloya »

Hi! My name is Antonio Torres, I am 56 years old, married, 3 children 6 grandchildren, active in the catholic marriage community, I play guitar and my wife and I sing in a choir at church, I am also studying Theology, praying the Liturgy of the Hours, and some times, when praying Laudes in a small group, we sing the "Pater Noster" in Latin; I would like to mention that I was an altar boy in early 60's, and we used to answer in Latin, the Franciscan priest told us, back then that: "To Pray in Latin is a whip for the devil" and so did my mother. Anyway, I am interested in learning Latin. Hoping to have a chance to participate in these forums, respectfully. Antonio :wink:

cdk
Textkit Neophyte

Post by cdk »

Hello All,

I am a new member who has recently come across this amazing website and have many questions. By way of introduction I was probably first inspired to someday learn some latin after reading Thomas Hardy's "Jude The Obscure". That was many years ago. I did try to take a Latin course at university but the pace at the time of my given workload was too fast given all the math I was trying to learn at the time. Anyhow, I am enjoying Benjamin D'ooge's Latin for Beginners. Compared to the some of modern texts I have laying around this book is so much better.

I am sincerly interested in reading something called "Monumenta Germaniae Historica" and it looks to be written entirely in latin, a historical document of German history since approximately the middle ages. If I could learn Latin sufficiently to understand this set of documents I would consider it an acheivement. Of course, I have many other reasons for wanting to learn Latin and what is mostly inexplicable to me is that I am drawn to it.

I do have a few questions, but the silliest one at the moment is just nagging at me and I can't seem to find any rules regarding the procunciation of names. For example, the name "Ceaser" pronounced "See-zer" as I have always heard but as the letter "C" is always hard as in the letter "K", I was just wondering about the similarity to the name "Kaiser". Is there an explanation for the pronunciation of names or is this an exception or should "Ceaser" be pronounced as a hard "C". I just had to ask.

Thanks for your patience.

Charles

feng
Textkit Neophyte

Post by feng »

Hello, everyone,
It has been almost 1 year since i took this hard journey to Rome. Now I've finished beginner's latin and am grappling with "De Gallico Bello". Intrigued by ancient cultures, I'm also very interested in AG. Hopefully i could pick up it later.
For quite a long time i have been reading many posts and benefit a great deal. What a wonderful place! Now i decided it is time to join it and be with you guys. Thanks a lot!
Feng

DavidH
Textkit Neophyte

Post by DavidH »

Hello, All.

I am just beginning Ancient Greek with a view to reading Plato. As an older student (late 40s), I suspect I lack the mental plasticity and capacity for absorption that many younger students have. Any tips on learning strategies for someone in my position would be most welcome. I've got pretty good German, which I learned as an adult, but I know Greek will be a considerable challenge.

Thanks very much for any advice. I look forward to being involved in Textkit.

--DavidH

Xaire
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Xaire »

Thank you for creating and building this great community with a common interest in Latin and Greek. The only thing that would make it better would be the inclusion of Sanskrit :-). [inflected, ancient language with similar roots, a great scholarly tradition of available (public domain) resources in English and a valuable body of texts...but I digress].

I had a little Greek as an undergrad 20-some years ago. I decided recently that I would like to actually learn to read Greek and was inspired by the translation of Harry Potter into Ancient Greek to try.

My goal is to build enough vocabulary to read HP.

furrykef
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by furrykef »

cdk wrote:I do have a few questions, but the silliest one at the moment is just nagging at me and I can't seem to find any rules regarding the procunciation of names. For example, the name "Ceaser" pronounced "See-zer" as I have always heard but as the letter "C" is always hard as in the letter "K", I was just wondering about the similarity to the name "Kaiser". Is there an explanation for the pronunciation of names or is this an exception or should "Ceaser" be pronounced as a hard "C". I just had to ask.
"Kaiser" does indeed come from "Caesar". The most common rendering of the Classical pronunciation of "Caesar" is "KAI-sahr", though some say it should be halfway between "KAI-sahr" and "KAY-sahr".

The "SEE-zer" pronounciation came about 'cause, well, for a long time, people in England (and, by extension, the rest of the English-speaking world later on) didn't really know or care about Classical pronunciation. Things such as consonant and vowel shifts over the centuries didn't help matters there either. So, if you want to use Classical pronunciation, it's best to just forget the English pronunciations.
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.

Delirant isti romani!

ALBERTUS MAGNUS
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ALBERTUS MAGNUS »

Hi. I am from Mexico. I am a Catholic seminarian. I have studied Latin and Greek for 7 years. I have studied both ecclesiastical and classical latin as well as biblical and classical Greek. I found out about this page recently and I am very interested in the debates I have seen so far.
My goal is to enrich myself from the posts of others and get more into the details of my Greek and Latin.
Last edited by ALBERTUS MAGNUS on Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

ALBERTUS MAGNUS
Textkit Neophyte

I just introduced myself and I already have a question to begin:

How can I write in Greek in the posts?

Thanks for the help!

KCI1000
Textkit Neophyte

Post by KCI1000 »

Hello,
My name is Kevin. I am a student interested in ancient Greek and Latin. I am interested in etymology and the study of history. This website looks like a great starting ground for a persons understanding of the world. I am looking for someone who would be interested in having a conversation purely in Greek/Latin and progressing by looking up and trying to understand how the person is using the words, and correcting each other.

All the best,
Kevin

Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carolus Raeticus »

Hello Albertus!
ALBERTUS MAGNUS wrote:How can I write in Greek in the posts?
Personally I'm into Latin rather than Greek, but a look at the following threads may be useful to you:
Yours sincerely,

Carolus Raeticus
Sperate miseri, cavete felices.

ALBERTUS MAGNUS
Textkit Neophyte

Hi CAROLUS RAETICUS! :D
Carolus Raeticus wrote:Hello Albertus!
ALBERTUS MAGNUS wrote:How can I write in Greek in the posts?
Personally I'm into Latin rather than Greek, but a look at the following threads may be useful to you:
Yours sincerely,

Carolus Raeticus

Thanks for taking your time to answer my question, next time I will first take a look at older posts.

Bye. Yours truly: AM

ruthellen
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ruthellen »

I just inherited about 30 Greek letters written between 1950 and 1975 from Xania (Canea)Crete. They are written in script from several different writers. I am trying to translate them and do not speak Greek. I printed the Greek Keyboard layout and am typing the letters so they look like the cursive and then cut and paste into various online translation service boxes. So far I am only able to figure out connective words like σας και να σε τον and so forth. I am able to figure these out by the volume of these words so it is easier to compare. Is there a site that shows more variations of cursive as it seems there are so many ways to form each letter and join the letters just as there are so many English fonts? Interesting site - I can see this is going to be a long journey. . .

radmamadread
Textkit Neophyte

Post by radmamadread »

Salvete!

(I apologize for the lack of diacritic. I am on an unfamiliar computer.)

I am a beginning homeschooling mom, with four children ages 5,3,2 and 1. I've realized over the past few months just how much of my education I'd forgotten, and so have set out on a course of self-education to include Latin, mathematics, history, and logic (for now).

I am a physician by trade and an amateur linguist (my undergraduate degree was in linguistics).

I'm excited to learn from and with you all.

radmama

Sam Cripps
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Sam Cripps »

Hello from a new member!

I found this forum while searching online for a forum to discuss beginning Biblical Greek. I hope to have questions answered and to just learn a lot here.

fjamespar
Textkit Neophyte

Post by fjamespar »

Hello all, my name is Franklin. I am studying greek as a hobby using JWW's First Greek Book.

Looking forward to asking questions and (eventually) answering them!

-FP

achilles005
Textkit Neophyte

Post by achilles005 »

Hello, everybody. My name is Bryce and I come from P.R. China. I am currently studying Latin and Roman History in one of universities of Europe. I love this language which is beautiful and powerful!

Perseus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Perseus »

Hello,

My name is Nima. I did study BA of Classical Philology at Shevchenko National University of Kiev/Ukraine.
The best teaching Latin book from beginner to advanced I've ever found is "Lingua Latina" by Hans Ørberg. I hope Jeff countribute this book on the website too.
Last edited by Perseus on Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

maryfrank
Textkit Neophyte

Post by maryfrank »

I am a French teacher especially interested in Medieval and Renaissance history, literature and culture. I always intended to study Latin... now it's time to do it. Looking forward to the adventure.

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

Perseus wrote:Hello,

My name is Nima from Persia. I did study BA of Classical Philology at Shevchenko National University of Kiev/Ukraine.
The best teaching Latin book from beginner to advanced I've ever found is "Lingua Latina" by Hans Orberg (O with a dash inside it as a Norwegian letter. I am unable to type it here.) I hope Jeff countribute this book on the website too.
سلام و خوش آمدید

من زبان فارسی درس می خوانم ولی حالا نمی توانم خوب بگویم یا بنویسم

(Sorry, my Persian is still terrible.)

Is the study of Latin, Greek, or the classics very popular in Iran? Latin and Persian are my two favorite languages (besides English, of course), and I hope some day that my Persian becomes equal to my Latin.

I agree with you about Orberg's course. I think it is one of the best available for gaining fluency in reading Latin. Many people discuss and recommend it in the Latin forum.
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute

Perseus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Perseus »

No, Greek and Lating language is not at all popular in Iran, in fact poeple who know these languages in Iran are less than 10! :(
There are too many students in iran who are interested to learn them, specially students of linguistics, languages from latin familly (i.e. French, Italian etc.), philosophy, art and history of Ancient Greece and Roma. But there is no teacher to teach them. I am wondering that Art, Philosophy and History of Ancient Greece and Roma are available in universities of Iran but without Greek and Latin languages! :(

I am glad that you are agree that Lingua Latina is the best, this link is useful for users who don't know the book: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Henning_%C3%98rberg

PS. How often annis check the forums, as I have a post in Greek forums pending moderation.
Last edited by Perseus on Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

furrykef
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by furrykef »

Perseus wrote:PS. How often annis check the forums, as I have a post in Greek forums pending moderation.
Good luck with that. I think there's a post in the Wheelock forum pending moderation for well over a month now. I'm rather upset about it. :?

Delirant isti romani!

Westcott
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Westcott »

Hi! Been stdying Greek & Latin for about a decade now, and was an early user of Textkit. Dropped back by to look for a composition text, and saw the lovely forum, so here I am.

W.

FaithRestMom
Textkit Neophyte

Post by FaithRestMom »

Hi! I'm a 45yo mother of three, grandmother of two, doggy mom of one. I'm interested in learning Greek for Bible study, and also in learning Latin, just because I enjoyed it in high school %% years ago! To be honest, I'm not even sure how I will use this forum, but expect I'll come up with some questions as I start my studies.

Thank you for this resource. I'm really excited to start learning! :D

Kelly Lee
Kelly Lee
"Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that
needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the Word of Truth."

--2 Tim. 2:15.

peterwilliams6
Textkit Neophyte

Post by peterwilliams6 »

Good day, everyone.

My name is Peter. I taught Classics, Latin and Ancient Greek for over 30 years in Great Britain at both school and university level. I am now retired and living in the Rio Grande Valley in South Texas. I hope I can be of some help on this forum being familiar with both the Cambridge and Oxford Latin courses, together with Wheelock's Latin and even Kennedy's Approach to Latin. As for Greek, I am familiar with both classical and NT Kione Greek. I used to specialise in Epic poetry (Homer and Virgil) and historiography (mainly Herodotus and Thucydides.)

Remember Seneca's maxim, "Non scholae, sed vitae, discimus." (We learn not for school, but for life.) Ironically printed incorrectly in Wheelock's Latin (page 53) as non vitae, sed scholae, discimus. You just can't get good proof readers these days, LOL..

FaithRestMom
Textkit Neophyte

Post by FaithRestMom »

peterwilliams6 wrote:Remember Seneca's maxim, "Non scholae, sed vitae, discimus." (We learn not for school, but for life.) Ironically printed incorrectly in Wheelock's Latin (page 53) as non vitae, sed scholae, discimus. You just can't get good proof readers these days, LOL..
That just cracks me up! I'll be sure to remember that one! :lol:
Kelly Lee
"Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that
needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the Word of Truth."

--2 Tim. 2:15.

perseph
Textkit Neophyte

Post by perseph »

Hi, my name is indeed, Persephone, although I go by Seph most of the time.

I am a writer who focuses mostly on Greek and Roman mythology and history (plays, fiction, screenplays and poetry)

Just found this website whilst looking for info on ancient curses in Latin and felt this would be a superb reference to have at fingertips. It's great to have a 'go to' place for someone like me who is incessantly curious about ancient history (Sumerian, Persian, etc) and know there are others here who enjoy the same pursuits.

Nice to meet you all.

Cheers,
Seph

furrykef
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by furrykef »

peterwilliams6 wrote:Remember Seneca's maxim, "Non scholae, sed vitae, discimus." (We learn not for school, but for life.) Ironically printed incorrectly in Wheelock's Latin (page 53) as non vitae, sed scholae, discimus. You just can't get good proof readers these days, LOL..
No, you have it wrong, I'm afraid. The maxim is indeed often inverted to the form you used, and in that form is used for school mottoes and such, but Seneca's point was that he felt too many people were learning useless things. The source of the quote is from the epistulae morales ad Lucilium, #106 (CVI), which ends with "quemadmodum omnium rerum -- sic litterarum quoque -- intemperantia laboramus: non vitae sed scholae discimus". I.e., "Just as in all things -- thus, literature too -- we work in immoderation: we're learning not for life but for school."

Delirant isti romani!

peterwilliams6
Textkit Neophyte

Post by peterwilliams6 »

furrykef wrote:
No, you have it wrong, I'm afraid. The maxim is indeed often inverted to the form you used, and in that form is used for school mottoes and such, but Seneca's point was that he felt too many people were learning useless things. The source of the quote is from the epistulae morales ad Lucilium, #106 (CVI), which ends with "quemadmodum omnium rerum -- sic litterarum quoque -- intemperantia laboramus: non vitae sed scholae discimus". I.e., "Just as in all things -- thus, literature too -- we work in immoderation: we're learning not for life but for school."

You are indeed correct. I have never read Seneca (and after reading epistle 106, I know why LOL). I guess, being one of the chief advocates of Stoic philosophy, he is stressing that Virtue is the only Good and anything else is an indifferent (such as literature) and hence we don't need it for life but it would be more useful as a preferred indifferent in the classroom. I think your post would have surprised many other people too, who like me, obtained the inverted form of Seneca's line from secondary sources. Anyway, thanks for pointing that out. I am pleased to have learned something new today.

parjanya
Textkit Neophyte

Post by parjanya »

Hi!

I've been studying latin, greek and sanskrit for ~5 years now, because i'm too addicted to indo-european linguistics ; ), and I'm right now trying to improve my greek by reading the Iliad. I know this site for a long time, and felt it was the time to register (again? I don't remember), and have some help, with greek specially, and hopefully help others, too.

Parjánya.

malbonheur
Textkit Neophyte

Post by malbonheur »

Hi!
I've always been interested in learning languages and the Ancient World. I've learned French and Italian, my mother tongue being Spanish, but not knowing the etymological origin of a word always bugged me, now I intend to remedy that situation by learning Latin, and I hope someday Classic Greek too.
This seems a great forum with nice people willing to help you out; I will eventually try to give back to the community, so till then have a bit of patience with me.

Hasta la próxima.