Tired of new post screening

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
furrykef
Textkit Enthusiast

Tired of new post screening

Post by furrykef »

Every now and then there are new posts that don't get screened and sit for several days. But lately there have been cases where they sit longer than that. There's at least one post to the Wheelock's forum that has been sitting there for about three weeks, and I still can't see it! This could very easily turn off new members and cause them to leave, and, in my opinion, justifiably so.

Is the spam problem really that bad? Why don't we get some moderators to take care of it, like other forums do? I checked the moderator list and, as I suspected, Jeff Tirey is the sole mod and admin. I'm not sure that this arrangement really makes sense for us anymore. Surely we have members who check the forum much more frequently and can exercise proper moderation in moderating.

Opinions?
Last edited by furrykef on Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.

Delirant isti romani!

Lex
Textkit Zealot

Re: Tired of new post screening

Post by Lex »

Jeff is the only mod? What happened to William Annis?
I, Lex Llama, super genius, will one day rule this planet! And then you'll rue the day you messed with me, you damned dirty apes!

furrykef
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by furrykef »

Can't say I know that name. I'm still pretty new here, I guess. ^^;

At the bottom of the forum's front page, there's links to a list of administrators and global moderators. Jeff's the only one in either of 'em.

Delirant isti romani!

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

furrykef wrote:At the bottom of the forum's front page, there's links to a list of administrators and global moderators. Jeff's the only one in either of 'em.
Are you sure that's not just part of the "who's online now" thing? Will is definitely a global moderator. I can't find what you're referring to right now (maybe because none of them are online). In any case, even Will seems to have been quiet for a good chunk of the past year. There were many other active moderators, but they've gone quiet for the most part over the last couple of years.
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library

furrykef
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by furrykef »

edonnelly wrote:Are you sure that's not just part of the "who's online now" thing?
Yep, 100% sure.
* Administrators
* Global moderators

Delirant isti romani!

Lex
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lex »

furrykef wrote:
edonnelly wrote:Are you sure that's not just part of the "who's online now" thing?
Yep, 100% sure.
* Administrators
* Global moderators
Wow. I have no idea what happened to the other mods. Anyhoo, William Annis was (is?) a mod, and is an incredibly knowledgeable guy who was quite generous with his knowledge. I hope that he is just exceedingly busy with his work as a system administrator/programmer.
I, Lex Llama, super genius, will one day rule this planet! And then you'll rue the day you messed with me, you damned dirty apes!

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

Lex wrote:Wow. I have no idea what happened to the other mods. Anyhoo, William Annis was (is?) a mod, and is an incredibly knowledgeable guy who was quite generous with his knowledge. I hope that he is just exceedingly busy with his work as a system administrator/programmer.
If you click on his profile it still says "Global Moderator," so I think it's just that he's been busy.
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library

furrykef
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by furrykef »

In any case, the situation as it stands is that we have only one guy who semi-regularly monitors the board. I think if we had more people on it, we wouldn't need to screen new posts anymore.

(The post I mentioned in the Wheelock's forum still has not been screened yet, by the way.)

Delirant isti romani!

furrykef
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by furrykef »

I'm pretty sure that post has been there for a month now, still unapproved. Bet we've ruined any chances of keeping whoever posted it...

Delirant isti romani!

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

Hi All,

I need help moderating. I'm typically behind in screening new threads. I don't like it but I simply don't have the time.

If anyone would like to help me out with this, please email me at jeff@pre23.com

thanks,
Jeff
Textkit Founder

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

I moderate the Latin and General Discussion forums, and I usually check up on new posts at least once a day.

Jeff, I'm happy to moderate all of the forums if you'd like.
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

FYI I'm a global moderator now, so I'll do my best to approve all new posts in a timely manner. I should have taken care of everything that was backlogged, but let me know if there are any questions.
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute

furrykef
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by furrykef »

I noticed. I'm considerably happier now. :)

Delirant isti romani!

millingcooper
Textkit Neophyte

Post by millingcooper »

I posted on November 5th, and it was finally just approved on the 16th of December. I'm glad Jeff has someone to help him out now, thanks so much!

Now I just have to hope I get answers :)

I'm surprised that spam is such a problem. I run a forum and, while it's got less members than this, I really don't have much of a spam problem. I have it set to approve new members, rather than posts. Although, since you have the requirement of posting an introductory post, I'm not sure approving the first two to block spammers is necessary. Some spammers are pretty darn determined, but I'd be surprised if they'd take the time to make an intro post instead of just posting their spam. But, when I approve members I look for suspicious email addresses and run their IP address on another website. You can submit spammers IP addresses and then other people can search them. I've caught a lot of spammers before they even get to post by using it. It's also pretty satisfying to add IPs to it, knowing that I'd probably spared some forums from my trouble. But, I know firsthand how hard it can be to keep up with these things. Once you fall behind you just keep going! Good luck!