Textkit Logo

nec committam

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

nec committam

Postby phil » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:16 am

Pompeius has travelled to see the philosopher Posidonius, but he is indisposed, and Pompeius tells him of his disappointment at not being able to hear him speak.

At ille (Posidonius), "Tū vērō," inquit "potēs, nec committam, ut dolor corporis efficiat, ut frūstrā tantus vir ad mē vēnerit."

But Posidonius said "Of course you can. I will not ?commit? that a gammy leg will effect a great man like you having come to see me in vain."

I can't find a decent meaning for committere which fits the context. I would have expected something like 'allow'. What am I doing wrong? Cheers, Phil.
phpbb
phil
Textkit Fan

Re: nec committam

Postby Alatius » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:36 am

phil wrote:At ille (Posidonius), "Tū vērō," inquit "potēs, nec committam, ut dolor corporis efficiat, ut frūstrā tantus vir ad mē vēnerit."

If the macrons are to be trusted, "potēs" ought to mean "you may drink", but I suppose it is an error. "Potes", 'you can' has a short "e".

phil wrote:But Posidonius said "Of course you can. I will not ?commit? that a gammy leg will effect a great man like you having come to see me in vain."
I can't find a decent meaning for committere which fits the context. I would have expected something like 'allow'. What am I doing wrong? Cheers, Phil.

OLD definition 15b seems to fit: "To bring about, perpetrate, effect."
Alatius
Textkit Fan

Re: nec committam

Postby adrianus » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:59 pm

"nec committam" = "nor would I concede/submit [yield or give up for judgement // committere ad judicium]" [OLD 11, 19]
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.
adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Return to Learning Latin