what's the meaning of this greek root "athl"?

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
miiduu
Textkit Neophyte

what's the meaning of this greek root "athl"?

Post by miiduu »

i have been learnig the roots of words recently. i donnot know the meaning of "athl". though it's not greek language, it's related to greek language. i hope someone could help me.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
besides if you are interested in running a free online shop, what's more, you can also put your shop on facebook, please sign up at the following site [url]www miiduu.com/facebook-store?source=fb_texkit

tomtom
Textkit Neophyte

Re: what's the meaning of this greek root "athl"?

Post by tomtom »

Do you mean the 'athl-' like in athlete or athletics?

If so, from what I know, this 'athl' comes directly from the greek: ἀθλητής (athletes) (a competitor) and the related verb to ἀθλέω (athleo) (to compete for a prize); other derived words include athlos (competition) and athlon (prize).
In English, I think that lexicographers say that this root means 'prize', but I would be inclined to stretch the meaning to competition, or even more loosely gain or achievement through competition.

I hope that helps!

tomtom
Textkit Neophyte

Re: what's the meaning of this greek root "athl"?

Post by tomtom »

I believe that lexicographers assign the English meaning of 'prize' to the greek root 'athl-'.

It comes from the verb athleo (ἀθλέω) meaning to compete for a prize, or to compete. This verb is related to athlon and athlon (ἆθλον and ἆθλος) meaning prize and competition, respectively.

I hope that helps!