key to allen's introduction to latin composition

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
theoldlove
Textkit Neophyte

key to allen's introduction to latin composition

Post by theoldlove »

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for an answer key to the 2nd edition of William Allen's Introduction to Latin Composition (Ginn & Heath 1880). The textbook is available on Google Books here: (http://books.google.com/books?id=YJkAAAAAYAAJ).

Frankly, I haven't found any evidence that any answer key ever existed for this book, but I'm hoping that someone here might happen to know something. Any and all leads are appreciated.

Thanks!

Patruus
Textkit Neophyte

Re: key to allen's introduction to latin composition

Post by Patruus »

theoldlove
Textkit Neophyte

Post by theoldlove »

Thanks. If I turn up a copy of one of these, I'll post a copy here.

theoldlove
Textkit Neophyte

Post by theoldlove »

The text of the key to the first edition is available here (http://hdl.handle.net/2027/wu.89054042999).

I suspect that there never was a key to the second edition. The Worldcat entry for the 1881 edition says 49 pp, coincidentally the exact same number of pages as the earlier edition

Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Interaxus »

theoldlove:

I'm afraid your link only led me to a site which displayed the message: "Full view is not available for this item
due to copyright © restrictions" (???). They wouldn't show a word of it. (Maybe the fact that I live in Sweden had something to do with. Who knows?) Did you actually manage to see it/ download it?

I rather like the textbook's special approach to 'prompted' oral exercises.

Cheers,
Int

Patruus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Patruus »

Interaxus wrote:I'm afraid your link only led me to a site which displayed the message: "Full view is not available for this item due to copyright © restrictions" (???). They wouldn't show a word of it. (Maybe the fact that I live in Sweden had something to do with. Who knows?)
Same here (UK). The solution is to go in via a US-sited proxy-server, of which there are many and I've no idea which is the best. Try pasting the link into http://www.hidemyass.com/proxy/ That works for me.

Patruus

Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Interaxus »

Patruus:

Got it! Thanks for your help - yet again!

Funnily enough, hidemyass is also my favourite proxy. I just didn't think of pasting theoldlove's link directly into it.

There was a snag however: I could only download one pdf page at a time. Or did you find a workaround for that too?

Cheers,
Int

Patruus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Patruus »

Interaxus wrote: There was a snag however: I could only download one pdf page at a time. Or did you find a workaround for that too?
No. Save out the individual pdfs or page-images, and then sew them all together with whatever software you have. I've done it myself with another book on that site.

All work and no workaround!

Patruus

Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Interaxus »

Patruus:

Well, I sewed all 39 pages together as you said using a trial copy of a program called 'pdfFactory'. If you would like to have it (ie the complete key), just let me know.

One interesting point: lesson 1 in the key is lesson 24 in the coursebook, lesson 2 in the key is lesson 25 in the coursebook, and so on. Otherwise only very minor discrepancies between the sentences. But there must have been another 'Introduction to Latin Composition' by Allen out there once upon a time that matched the key. I wonder where that one is...?

Cheers,
Int

Patruus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Patruus »

Compare Lesson 1 of that Key with the exercise in Lesson 1 of the textbook's sixth edition of 1874 - http://bit.ly/d76MYR (foot of page)

Would that we knew what the unavailable 1881 key was matched to -
http://books.google.com/books?id=_N9BHQAACAAJ

Patruus

Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Interaxus »

Patruus:

So that's where it was. :oops: Great! I've ordered an electronic copy from KirtasBooks.com (easier than downloading and sewing pages).

Perhaps the 1881 key too will surface eventually.

Off topic(?): Since you're such a great textbook detective, I wonder if you might be able to locate a related kind of 'untraceable' entity - basic data concerning a textbook author? Earlier this year I tried to get a library to make an electronic copy of a Greek textbook by Francis Ritchie (of Fabulae Faciles fame) but I was told the author had to have been dead for a given number of years (even though the book was obviously public domain). I could find neither his birth nor death date anywhere despite his erstwhile star status. It seems some names really are written in water. Or was I looking in the wrong place?

Cheers,
Int