Introduction

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
theophilec
Textkit Neophyte

Introduction

Post by theophilec »

Hello to all-
I have already posted something in the "new members thread" but i thought I would also post something in this one too.

So:

I am thirteen years old.
I was born in France but for the last ten years in my life, I have been in the United States for the last ten years. Now, I am going around the world on a sailboat. I am fluent in French and in English.

I am not taking latin in school. But I would like to learn it by myself, a newly found passion I guess.
I think that latin could give me a tool in learning languages in the future. And I think it is a really interesting and beautiful "language".
So, I have decided to launch myself into it.

I would like to know if anyone else has taught themselves latin and if they have any advice or tips and tricks I am open to everything.
I am also looking for people that I could contact if I had a question or needed a little help on a particular subject. So please, if you are interested, contact me.
Also, if someone else has just started latin, I would love to hear from them too!
One last thing, I was wondering if anyone had a link where I could hear latin pronunciation.

Thanks to all,
Theophile

lauragibbs
Textkit Member

Re: Introduction

Post by lauragibbs »

Wow, around the world on a sailboat: THAT is exciting!

One place you can hear Latin pronunciation, and see some video to go with it, is through the Latinum project - just go to YouTube and look at the Latinum channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/evan1965

I publish a blog that has Latin sayings and mottoes - those can be fun for beginners, because in just a few words Latin sometimes expresses some great ideas! here is that blog: http://bestlatin.blogspot.com/ - maybe you can even choose a Latin motto for yourself.

I also have put online a collection of easy Latin proverbs that are organized by grammatical topics - there are lots of proverbs with just nouns in them, no verbs, so they are easy to read right from the start - here is where you can find all those proverbs online: http://latinviaproverbs.pbworks.com/group001

I hope you will enjoy your Latin adventure!

:-)

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Introduction

Post by adrianus »

Welcome, theophilec. Bring a paper copy of Vergil's Aeneid with you onboard either in English or in French and read especially Chapter Five about the boat race when you are sailing.

Gratus nobis tuus adventus, theophilec. Fer tecum in navem exemplum Aeneidis Vergili chartaceum aut gallicé aut anglicé, et praesertim inter navigationem de cursu navum in libro quinto lege.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.