διακριβολογούμενος (Pl. Soph. 245 e)

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Lavrentivs
Textkit Fan

διακριβολογούμενος (Pl. Soph. 245 e)

Post by Lavrentivs »

I should like an etymological analysis of this word, which I have not found in the dictionary.

modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Re: διακριβολογούμενος (Pl. Soph. 245 e)

Post by modus.irrealis »

Lavrentivs
Textkit Fan

Post by Lavrentivs »

Thanks! I would still like an etymological dissection, though.

NateD26
Textkit Zealot

Post by NateD26 »

maybe it's from διακριβῶς (διὰ+ἀκριβῶς) + λογεόμαι?
I don't know what λογεόμαι means though. If it has some relation to middle/pass of λέγω, why not λέγομαι?
Nate.

modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Post by modus.irrealis »

The LSJ doesn't seem to have a διακριβής / διακριβῶς though, so I'd guess it's δια- + ακριβoλογεομαι, with δια in its sense of "thoroughly" or "completely" and ακριβολογεομαι is ακριβ- + -λογεομαι = to be exact in investigation.

Smith seems to imply in 892 that the verbs with -λογεω are denominatives, so I guess really ακριβολογεομαι is formed from ακριβολογος = precise in argument (although I don't know if it's necessary for it to be historically true that the nominal form came first).

NateD26
Textkit Zealot

Post by NateD26 »

modus.irrealis wrote:The LSJ doesn't seem to have a διακριβής / διακριβῶς though, so I'd guess it's δια- + ακριβoλογεομαι, with δια in its sense of "thoroughly" or "completely" and ακριβολογεομαι is ακριβ- + -λογεομαι = to be exact in investigation.

Smith seems to imply in 892 that the verbs with -λογεω are denominatives, so I guess really ακριβολογεομαι is formed from ακριβολογος = precise in argument (although I don't know if it's necessary for it to be historically true that the nominal form came first).
Many thanks for the reference, modus. I apologize for "inventing" the adverb διακριβῶς.
Nate.