duco, ducere

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
pmda
Textkit Zealot

duco, ducere

Post by pmda »

In Orberg's LLPSI Ch. XVIII he has: 'Quisque puer stilum et regulam promit et ducit lineam recta in tabula sua; tum scribere incipit.'

I wasn't aware that ducit can mean 'He / she draws'. Is this the same word as duco, ducere (to lead etc.)?

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: duco, ducere

Post by adrianus »

Probè adnotas. Nonnè est quod facis et anglicé: lineam trans superficiem ducis?
Yes, spot on. You do that in English too, no? You draw/lead a line across a surface.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Post by pmda »

Adrianus, thanks. In English you wouldn't say 'He leads a line across paper' - at least not that I've seen.. thanks.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

In English I just did; however, I wasn't speaking normally but suggestively. I mean you can see the commonality of sense in English between drawing and leading.
Id benè anglicè dixi at modo speciali et adjicienti. Ità dicere volo: anglicè "to draw" et "to lead" sensum communem communicant.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

furrykef
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by furrykef »

I think adrianus is trying to point out that we do the same thing in English with "draw a line" versus "draw from a well", "draw a cart", etc.

In English I've also seen "pull a line", though I think I've usually seen that said by inkers (people who replace pencil lines with ink lines as part of the process of making comics -- people who are massively underappreciated, I might add).
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.

Delirant isti romani!

metrodorus
Textkit Fan

Post by metrodorus »

I think "to draw out" can be a translation of ducere, in some senses, with the same meaning as 'to lead across' , to it isn't such a big leap to understand the Latin idiom, as Adrianus points out, it is very similar in concept to the English idiom.

A horse draws a carriage. Eqvus pilentum ducit.

A line is drawn. linea ducitur.
carrus ducitur A carriage is drawn.
She drew a line with a pencil. Ducit illa lineam stylo.
He was drawn along by two soldiers. per duos milites ducitur
I run http://latinum.org.uk which provides the Adler Audio Latin Course, other audio materials, and additional free materials on YouTube.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Draw, v., OED wrote:V. Of delineation or construction by drawing.

* To draw a line, figure, formal document, comparison, etc.

59. a. To trace (a line or figure) by drawing a pencil, pen, or the like, across a surface; to cut (a furrow) by drawing a ploughshare through the soil.

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Post by pmda »

Of course I do see the connection and similarity - I was just observing what is idiomatic in English. Certainly a CEO might lead a team of managers or, as observed, a horse might draw a carriage.

Kasper
Textkit Zealot

Post by Kasper »

Hi pmda - i think you are getting on the right track with this.

I think the key is to treat latin as a stand alone language, without reference to english (or whatever may be your native tongue). Words in any language are attributed to an image or concept in our minds, and this what you must refer to when translating.

In the case of 'duco', it is an image of something being in charge or control of something else, often combined with physical movement. 'To lead' can be a good english translation of this concept or image, but not necessarily so, because it has it's own image/concept connected in our minds which differs slightly.

It is important not to think of the english translation of the latin word, in order to then attribute the image/concept of the english word to the latin word. Although this may work initially, you will lose a lot of nuance and end up with seemingly non-sensical translations (e.g. i don't think i have ever said that someone 'leads' a pencil over a piece of paper, when I mean that he is drawing).

hope this makes sense...
“Cum ego verbo utar,” Humpty Dumpty dixit voce contempta, “indicat illud quod optem – nec plus nec minus.”
“Est tamen rogatio” dixit Alice, “an efficere verba tot res indicare possis.”
“Rogatio est, “Humpty Dumpty responsit, “quae fiat magister – id cunctum est.”