Aeneas and Beer

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Lupa
Textkit Neophyte

Aeneas and Beer

Post by Lupa »

We're reading Vergil in my Latin class and I thought you all might be interested. The topic of the day was "Would you ask Aeneas out to have a few of beers? Why or why not?"

Lupa

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

No, because I don't like beer :lol: . I wondered if Aeneas would have drunk it, and found this: http://www.ukans.edu/history/index/euro ... visia.html

Apparently the tribes drank their beer with everybody drinking out of the same bowl through straws. :roll:

Lupa
Textkit Neophyte

Fine, what about this...

Post by Lupa »

Actually, I hate beer myself. That, however, is not what is ment by the question. Perhaps I should phrase it more it like this: "What do you think of Aeneas as a person? Would you want to spend time getting to know him?"

Lupa[/b]

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

An interesting question. I think I probably would, provided he didn't object to root beer instead. :D

izamonteiro
Textkit Neophyte

Post by izamonteiro »

No, Aeneas is too human for me. Maybe Odysseus... a real (=greek) hero.

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

bingley wrote:Apparently the tribes drank their beer with everybody drinking out of the same bowl through straws.
Beer through a straw? No wonder the Romans thought they were barbarians!

I think Aeneas comes across as a bit of a weak-minded person at times, and his communication skills weren't good (eg Queen Dido, all that drama could have been avoided by just letting her know what was happening, ah well, typical man! :wink: )

Lupa
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Lupa »

If you believe Aeneas to be so weak minded, do you believe the critics that say that the Aeneid is either pro-Augustan or anti-Augustan propaganda? I'd sure as hell like to have a beer with Augustus. Personally, I wouldn't mind getting to know Aeneas. If only to find out what having the love god as your mother does to a man.

-Lupa

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

If only to find out what having the love god as your mother does to a man.

Lol, Lupa, you're so funny! :)

Lupa
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Lupa »

Thanks! Juvenal wouldn't approve at all.

-Lupa