Pronunciation with enclitics

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Emerita
Textkit Neophyte

Pronunciation with enclitics

Post by Emerita »

Where does the accent fall when you add an enclitic, like –que ? Does it remain where it is when the word stands alone, or does it move over if the last syllable is long? For example, is it “pax *lí*-ber-tas-que” or “pax li-ber-*tás*-que”? Thanks for any help. I’m trying to read aloud as I learn, and I’d hate to pick up bad habits. (Why is it always easier to pick up a bad habit then to unlearn it?)

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Pronunciation with enclitics

Post by adrianus »

Salve Emerita
The accent falls on the last syllable (long or short) before the enclitic. Some disagree about the short. I stick with the ancient grammarians in saying both long and short.
Accentum in syllabam ultimam (aut longam aut brevem) ante encliticum cadit. Sunt qui dissentiunt de breve. Ego equidem cum grammaticis antiquis sto et brevem et longam in dicendo.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Emerita
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Emerita »

Multas gratias tibi ago. Tuam consuetudinem suasam adoptabo. (Probably not entirely correct. I’m trying to say, “Thank you very much. I’ll follow your recommended usage/practice.”)

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Looks good to me, what you wrote. You're welcome.
Id mihi bonum videtur, quod scripsisti. Libenter.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.