Textkit Logo

what's the meaning of this greek root "athl"?

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

what's the meaning of this greek root "athl"?

Postby miiduu » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:00 am

i have been learnig the roots of words recently. i donnot know the meaning of "athl". though it's not greek language, it's related to greek language. i hope someone could help me.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
besides if you are interested in running a free online shop, what's more, you can also put your shop on facebook, please sign up at the following site [url]www miiduu.com/facebook-store?source=fb_texkit
miiduu
Textkit Neophyte

Re: what's the meaning of this greek root "athl"?

Postby tomtom » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:37 pm

Do you mean the 'athl-' like in athlete or athletics?

If so, from what I know, this 'athl' comes directly from the greek: ἀθλητής (athletes) (a competitor) and the related verb to ἀθλέω (athleo) (to compete for a prize); other derived words include athlos (competition) and athlon (prize).
In English, I think that lexicographers say that this root means 'prize', but I would be inclined to stretch the meaning to competition, or even more loosely gain or achievement through competition.

I hope that helps!
tomtom
Textkit Neophyte

Re: what's the meaning of this greek root "athl"?

Postby tomtom » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:02 am

I believe that lexicographers assign the English meaning of 'prize' to the greek root 'athl-'.

It comes from the verb athleo (ἀθλέω) meaning to compete for a prize, or to compete. This verb is related to athlon and athlon (ἆθλον and ἆθλος) meaning prize and competition, respectively.

I hope that helps!
tomtom
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Greek