discunt a magistro

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
pmda
Textkit Zealot

discunt a magistro

Post by pmda »

In libro suo LLPSI Orberg rogat: Quid magister pueros docet?

Estne responsum rectum (cum ablativo) est: Pueri numeros et litteras discunt a magistro.

Craig_Thomas
Textkit Member

Re: discunt a magistro

Post by Craig_Thomas »

pmda wrote:In libro suo LLPSI Orberg rogat: Quid magister pueros docet?

Estne responsum rectum (cum ablativo) est: Pueri numeros et litteras discunt a magistro.
I think that does work, though it is perhaps best for you to rewrite your answer with the teacher as subject. That way you are answering more directly the question asked, i.e., you are saying what the teacher teaches, not what the children learn.

To answer with the students as subject, you would most likely use a passive form of doceo as your verb.

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Post by pmda »

Craig_Thomas
Textkit Member

Post by Craig_Thomas »

pmda wrote:Thanks: Pueri multas res magistro docentur.
No worries.

Though that should be "a magistro", otherwise it suggests that the teacher is teaching the children unwittingly, or against his will. There's a memorable example of this in Jones and Sidwell's Reading Latin: "uxore paene constrictus", means "almost strangled by his wife", but only "ab uxore paene constrictus" means she did it on purpose.

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Post by pmda »

Thanks. Actually I've been wondering about that. Was about to type 'a magistro' and then decided not to. I'm not quite clear in what circumstances it is and isn't used. It seems, as you suggest, that if the relationship is purely instrumental - e.g. Puer pugnis pugnat - the boy fights with his fists. Or Iulius equo vehitur but if it's intentional in some way you get Puer a magistro verberatur. But you could have Puer baculo magistro verberatur. Is there a rule / guideline about this. Many thanks.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

pmda wrote:But you could have Puer baculo magistro verberatur.
Not so, unless the teacher is a puppet. // Minimè, nisi automaton magister.

Magister puerum baculo verberat. VEL Puer à magistro baculo (vel per baculum, si mavis) verberatur.
pmda wrote:Is there a rule / guideline about this.
As Craig_Thomas says // Ut dicit Craig_Thomas:
http://www.hhhh.org/perseant/libellus/a ... e.405.html
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=qVpM ... rb&f=false
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Post by pmda »

Thanks Adrianus

How would I write: the boy was beaten by the master with a stick. ?

Puer cum bacculo verberatus est a magistro. ?

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Jam suprà spriptum est // It is already written above:
Puer à magistro baculo * verberatur.
* The use of "per" and "cum" isn't good, really // Verum dicere, non bonum est usum "per" et "cum" praepositionum
Last edited by adrianus on Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Post by pmda »

thanks.

Puer cum bacculo verberatus est a magistro. ? would mean that the boy and the stick were beaten by the teacher....?

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

The boy with the stick (who had a stick) was beaten (maybe because he HAD a stick and wasn't supposed to) // Puer baculum habens verberatus est (qui forsitàn habuerit quod non habendum fuerat)

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Post by pmda »

Thanks Adrianus. Back to my studies.