sup?

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
klewlis
Global Moderator

sup?

Post by klewlis »

why are the boards so quiet these days? what's everyone up to?

phil is probably out celebrating that new zealand just whomped canada *royally* at the rugby world cup (68-6!).... oh well, canadians have never been known for our rugby skills :P

here, winter is quickly approaching, the air is cold, and the trees are almost bare. life is busy and good. :)

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

True, they do be quiet. I have been waiting for some one to come up and say it!

If you really want to know, what I be up to - School sucks, everything falls apart, my body hurts I have lack of sleep and consequently am too tired to study any latin. When there is any action on the latin forum there are sentences to which I can not even come close to comprehending. Currently there are mountains of pointless easy schoolwork which takes ages and is annoying. I would gladly punch some teachers. Plus craziness really makes me insane. Nevertheless, I have a great life in comparison with so many others - so I am content it's all good as I am neither crippled nor in any physical pain :D

I hate rugby though.

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

I think the board is slower now too - and it happened right after the change in forum scripts!
Textkit Founder

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Well, I've just had loads of exams, but luckily they are all over now and the holidays have just started. Won't mean less work, though... got loads to do...

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

Busy at work, which means I haven't had much time to open my Latin book. I WILL do the Latin > Eng exercise today. I WILL do the Latin > Eng exercise today. (repeat 50x).

Also, as Jeff knows, I had a terrible time getting back in after the change. I hope not too many people gave up and have fallen by the wayside. It might be interesting to look at the profiles of people who used to post regularly but have been quiet since the change. Has anyone seen/heard from Milito for example?

mariek
Global Moderator

Re: sup?

Post by mariek »

klewlis wrote:why are the boards so quiet these days? what's everyone up to?

Busy busy busy... haven't had much time to devote to Latin studies ... still stuck on the same page. :( Projects at work. I recently got promoted (yea!) so now I get to call myself "head peon"! :lol:

I always get sideswiped by Christmas. I'm not letting that happen this year. So I've been working on gifts. I've got half my friends figured out, all my coworkers figured out except for one guy, and all my in-laws figured out. Not bad for mid-October! :) I even picked up a lifetime supply of giftwrap. :) :)

It's starting to get dark a little earlier here. Doesn't quite feel like winter yet.

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

bingley wrote:Has anyone seen/heard from Milito for example?

She was silent for a while, then resurfaced once ... and I haven't heard a peep from her since. I don't recall whether she resurfaced before or after the forum switchover.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

I'm just more melancholy all around...

Part of it is that I have a new computer and DSL so I spend all day playing games and such. Another thing is that I am spending a lot of time pondering my futile existence! Oh yes... and loads of homework... sleep...
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

Sleep? Sleep is a luxury....

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

ah the homework...the amount thereof is insane and that's not just an idle complaint. Easy, boring, abundant argh...and I don't care...pointless.
School nowadays is more about work for courses rather than actually learning anything...

If A levels be like this then I'm off :evil:

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

I'd actually noticed the silence of Milito before the switcharoo. We should form a search committee. :)

As for my time, it is divided between reading Homer, reading and commenting Hesiod's Theogony for Aoidoi, raking up leaves every few days, and pulling staples.

I got a house in March, and have been slowly removing nasty, cat-visited, off-white carpet from the beautiful (if not perfect) oak floors hiding below. I feel strongly now that people installing carpet should not be allowed staple-guns. Pulling out all those staples is both tedious and surprisingly back-breaking.

Ooh, and I'm reading When Time Shall Be No More: Prophecy Belief in Modern American Culture by Paul Boyer.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

At least it's only one carpet, my aunt and uncle just bought a house after moving from Islamabad back to England, and they had like 150 years worth of carpets to pull up :wink: . They didn't know anything about the floorboards, the flagstones or the beautiful tiling...

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

Emma_85 wrote:At least it's only one carpet, my aunt and uncle just bought a house after moving from Islamabad back to England, and they had like 150 years worth of carpets to pull up :wink: . They didn't know anything about the floorboards, the flagstones or the beautiful tiling...

:shock: Someone put carpet on top of other carpet? I'm having an allergic reaction just thinking that.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Lol! Most old places are like that, here. First they didn't have wall to wall carpet of course, which didn't stop them nailing down their carpets and then painting the floorboards around them... some later layers weren’t even carpet, though, but some vinyl of sorts :P .
(One layer was very disgusting indeed... I won't go into detail, but it was neither carpet nor vinyl nor anything else anyone normal would put down as flooring).

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

I also have the builders in "redecorating" (or making a great big mess) and studying furiously for exams which are only a few weeks away (and trying to come to grips with Big Julie's "Civil War"). The cleaning lady is away having her knee fixed so I also have to do housework!!!!
Yes, I even had to get the vacuum cleaner out the other day and clean the bathroom, a great shock to the system (and also spent the whole day sneezing as I am allergic to detergent).

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Carola wrote:The cleaning lady is away having her knee fixed so I also have to do
:shock:

phil
Textkit Fan

Re: sup?

Post by phil »

klewlis wrote: phil is probably out celebrating that new zealand just whomped canada *royally* at the rugby world cup (68-6!).... oh well, canadians have never been known for our rugby skills :P
Klewlis is correct in supposing that Phil has been out celebrating! Not only the rugby, but we also beat the Aussies at league this weekend! NZ and Oz share an intense but (mostly) good natured sporting rivalry; any day we beat Australia is a good day.
I don't know how much I'll be using the forum for the next few months - spring has sprung, the grass is riz; and the garden, aka the garden of weedin' is calling.
Still, must finish Wheelock by Christmas....

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

Episcopus, is it shocking that my cleaning lady is suffering from knee problems or that I have to actually do some hard work? Or both? Iolande the cleaning lady has worked for me for 13 years and keeps my brain tuned into language skills as she speaks a 50/50 mix of Italian and English (I mean mixed into the same sentences, not just 50% of the time) as well as giving me the free time to study Latin and be a musician - she is a very important person!

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

I don't know about Episcopus, but the shocking part for me was the idea of having someone to do the housework for you so that you normally don't have to do it.

:)

(wishing I had a housekeeper....)

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

Yes, unfortunately I think she will be retiring soon and I just could not ever find anyone as good so I might have to continue doing the work myself. I decided many years ago that I could either (1)have the house the way I like or (2)do other things with my life, so I chose (2)!
I think I definitely made the right choice as I often work 16 hours days when I am playing in shows and everything else just gets left. My partner Brian has just worked about 36 hours straight over the weekend doing sound mixing for a band on tour so we are both kept pretty busy.

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

Emma_85 wrote:Lol! Most old places are like that, here. First they didn't have wall to wall carpet of course, which didn't stop them nailing down their carpets and then painting the floorboards around them... some later layers weren’t even carpet, though, but some vinyl of sorts :P .

So how many layers are there?? I just can't imagine this... adding layers upon layers. Why not tear out the old and then put in the new?

I guess one should be suspicious when having to take a "step" up to walk into a room, and the floor to ceiling clearance isn't very high... :roll:

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

Carola wrote:Iolande the cleaning lady has worked for me for 13 years and keeps my brain tuned into language skills as she speaks a 50/50 mix of Italian and English (I mean mixed into the same sentences, not just 50% of the time) as well as giving me the free time to study Latin and be a musician - she is a very important person!

Sigh... I wish I had a cleaning lady. Imagine what I could do with all that free time!

In my neck of the woods, not too many of us have our own cleaning people. I guess it depends on the location. I remember visiting a relative in Hong Kong who had a live-in housekeeper who cooked, cleaned, and looked after the kids.

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

mariek wrote:
In my neck of the woods, not too many of us have our own cleaning people. I guess it depends on the location. I remember visiting a relative in Hong Kong who had a live-in housekeeper who cooked, cleaned, and looked after the kids.
Yes, a full time live in housekeeper would be just heaven. Of course, some of you younger Textkitters have that already, it's called a "mother" :roll:

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

[quote="Carola
Yes, a full time live in housekeeper would be just heaven. Of course, some of you younger Textkitters have that already, it's called a "mother" :roll: [/quote]

And that's one of the reasons why I've been quiet lately. I am a mother :). And we've got a busy time at work too, so no textkit there either.
And for a cleaning lady...wish I could find one who has no back problems and keeps her hands out of my jewellery box. I've had it with them for a while, I'm afraid.

Ingrid

By the way, pulling out staples may be hard work, but you don't want to scrape of glue and foam from a concrete floor either. Been there, done that...

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

Carola wrote:Yes, a full time live in housekeeper would be just heaven. Of course, some of you younger Textkitters have that already, it's called a "mother" :roll:

Oh, you crack me up! :lol:

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS »

[quote="Carola
Yes, a full time live in housekeeper would be just heaven. Of course, some of you younger Textkitters have that already, it's called a "mother" [/quote]

LOL, so true though! Here in my university residence, having to actually plan when I will do laundry and empty recycling containers...ya, its a "tough life." But it can be time consuming with 1 washer and 1 dryer for 100 people.

Then again, I don't work 16 hours a day either!

Clemens
Textkit Member

Post by Clemens »

Oh yeah, having a mother who does all that kind of work for you is just wonderful... 8)

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Vos belles-mères