Sentence Translation Help

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
deus123
Textkit Neophyte

Sentence Translation Help

Post by deus123 »

Could someone please help me translate these sentences from Latin into English? I've given my own attempt with them. Quite a literal translation (so that I can understand my grammatical errors) would be good for each sentence.
    urbs tamen militibus data est ut praedam peterent. However, the city was given to the soldiers to make for the spoils.
    multa tum irae exempla erat, multa avaritiae. For example, many of them became angry; many became greedy.
    sed Archimedes formis suis tam intentus erat ut verba militis non audiret. But Archimedes was so intent with his diagrams that he did not hear the words of the soldier.
    imperator tamen exercitus Romanorum, Marcellus nomine, quod mortem philosophi graviter tulit, militem severissime puniri iussit. The Emperor, however, ordered the Roman army to punish the soldier named Marcellus, because he had heavily brought the death of the philosopher.
    nam inter tumultum urbis captae, miles Romanus domum quandam intravit ut aurum caperet. For among the commotion of the city being captured, a Roman soldier entered a certain house in order to take gold.[/list]

thesaurus
    Textkit Zealot

Re: Sentence Translation Help

Post by thesaurus »

urbs tamen militibus data est ut praedam peterent. However, the city was given to the soldiers to make for the spoils.
    "...so that they [the soldiers] might seek spoils/plunder."
    multa tum irae exempla erat, multa avaritiae. For example, many of them became angry; many became greedy.
    "There were many examples of anger then, many [examples] of greed."
    sed Archimedes formis suis tam intentus erat ut verba militis non audiret. But Archimedes was so intent with his diagrams that he did not hear the words of the soldier.
    Correct, but we'd probably say "intent on his forms" rather than "with."
    imperator tamen exercitus Romanorum, Marcellus nomine, quod mortem philosophi graviter tulit, militem severissime puniri iussit. The Emperor, however, ordered the Roman army to punish the soldier named Marcellus, because he had heavily brought the death of the philosopher.
    "However, the emperor of the army of the Romans, named Marcellus, because he heavily bore the death of the philosopher, ordered the soldier to be punished."

The verb "ferre" here has the meaning of "to bear," as in "to take something badly/heavily [graviter]." Note that "puniri" is a passive infinitive.
    nam inter tumultum urbis captae, miles Romanus domum quandam intravit ut aurum caperet. For among the commotion of the city being captured, a Roman soldier entered a certain house in order to take gold.
    Correct.
    Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute