Textkit Logo

Handy Grammar Table

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

Handy Grammar Table

Postby jamesbath » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:53 pm

Here's a very accessible Latin Grammar Table online for those who might not know. It covers declensions, conjugations, irregulars, pronouns, adjectives, etc:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/lati ... ubjunctive
jamesbath
Textkit Member

Re: Handy Grammar Table

Postby thesaurus » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:45 pm

jamesbath wrote:Here's a very accessible Latin Grammar Table online for those who might not know. It covers declensions, conjugations, irregulars, pronouns, adjectives, etc:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/lati ... ubjunctive

Very handy, thank you. But this seems to be medieval Latin, no? (cf. "carte," "hec" etc.)
Quam utile! gratias tibi. Mediaevalis autem latina esse videtur, non? ("carte" pro "cartae" et "hec" pro "haec" ponuntur).
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute
thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Postby jamesbath » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:33 pm

thesaurus wrote:Very handy, thank you. But this seems to be medieval Latin, no? (cf. "carte," "hec" etc.)
Quam utile! gratias tibi. Mediaevalis autem latina esse videtur, non? ("carte" pro "cartae" et "hec" pro "haec" ponuntur).

Yes. It seems to be.
jamesbath
Textkit Member

Postby Jefferson Cicero » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:57 pm

This is an interesting table. I've never read Mediaeval Latin and I've never seen a table of it before. It didn't change as much from the Latin of Roman times as I might have expected.
'Greek had to be simplified, and Latin had to be replaced with Italian, because we barbarians stole so many Greek and Latin words.'
Jefferson Cicero
Textkit Member

Postby jamesbath » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:23 pm

Jefferson Cicero wrote:This is an interesting table. I've never read Mediaeval Latin and I've never seen a table of it before. It didn't change as much from the Latin of Roman times as I might have expected.

That was my impression too.
jamesbath
Textkit Member

Postby thesaurus » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:19 pm

Jefferson Cicero wrote:This is an interesting table. I've never read Mediaeval Latin and I've never seen a table of it before. It didn't change as much from the Latin of Roman times as I might have expected.

The morphology certainly didn't change much; as you can see, it is mostly phonetic simplification ("ae"-->"e"). The syntax and vocabulary are what makes medieval Latin a unique beast.
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute
thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Postby Jefferson Cicero » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:22 am

Ah, yes, those words that change meaning from Classical to Mediaeval, and of course word substitutions. Those are always tricky and sometimes exasperating. I suppose the word order is quite close to that of Romance languages? I can see why it would be a beast for anyone used to the classical.

One of these days I'll have to try my hand at it, if I can ever get a good handle on classical Latin first.
'Greek had to be simplified, and Latin had to be replaced with Italian, because we barbarians stole so many Greek and Latin words.'
Jefferson Cicero
Textkit Member

Return to Learning Latin