Textkit Logo

Tuscan vs. Doric Order

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.

Moderators: thesaurus, Jeff Tirey

Tuscan vs. Doric Order

Postby paulusnb » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:44 pm

Does anyone know the difference between the Tuscan and Doric orders? As far as I can figure, Tuscan columns are always unfluted (although Roman Doric occasionally is as well) and the entablature is plain. Is there more? Am I missing something?
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. ~Swift
paulusnb
Textkit Fan

Re: Tuscan vs. Doric Order

Postby Jefferson Cicero » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:56 pm

I think Tuscan was mainly used in wood structures. There is also a difference in the overall shape of the columns, and I think the base is different from the Roman Doric. I understand your confusion. I didn't realise just how much they resemble each other.
'Greek had to be simplified, and Latin had to be replaced with Italian, because we barbarians stole so many Greek and Latin words.'
Jefferson Cicero
Textkit Member

Re: Tuscan vs. Doric Order

Postby navard1011 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:09 am

The Tuscan order has a very plain design, with a plain shaft, and a simple capital, base, and frieze. It is a simplified adaptation of the Doric order by the Romans. The Tuscan order is characterized by an unfluted shaft and a capital that only consist of an echinus and an abacus. In proportions it is similar to the Doric order, but overall it is significantly plainer. The column is normally seven diameters high. Compared to the other orders, the Tuscan order looks the most solid.
The Doric order originated on the mainland and western Greece. It is the simplest of the orders, characterized by short, faceted, heavy columns with plain, round capitals (tops) and no base. With a height that is only four to eight times its diameter, the columns are the most squat of all orders. The shaft of the Doric order is channeled with 20 flutes. The capital consists of a necking which is of a simple form. The echinus is convex and the abacus is square.
reglamento lopd
*DON'T cry over anyone who won't cry over you*
navard1011
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Open Board