"apud" - anyway to check if "in" or "near"?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Mic_
Textkit Neophyte

"apud" - anyway to check if "in" or "near"?

Post by Mic_ »

Hello everyone in the Textkit forum!

I'm posting this to see if anyone can give me a hand, by trying to assure me if in the following sentence, "apud" means "in Rome" or "near Rome":

"...quas tibi tradidimus apud Romam..."

If anyone can help me on this - if possible justifying it with grammar rules - I would be immensely grateful! :D

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Re: "apud" - anyway to check if "in" or "near"?

Post by thesaurus »

I'm pretty sure it means "near," as in "...which we related to you near Rome..."

If it were simply "at Rome," it is more likely that the author would have used the locative form, "Romae."

It might help to have more context from the sentence, too.
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Often in Vulgar/Later Latin "apud" or "in" before the placename serves for the locative, note also. Classically, as you say, thesaurus.
Et hoc nota: vulgari serioreque in sermone "apud" seu "in" ante loci nomen pro casu locativo non rarò substituitur. Si classicè autem dicitur, "apud" praepositio "prope" significare potest, ut rectè dicit thesaurus.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Mic_
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Mic_ »

First of all, thanks to thesaurus and adrianus.

I've made a thorough investigation about the context in which this medieval latin term was used, and I reached the conclusion that in legal documents, "apud" was used with "at" meaning.

The latin "in" before the name of a city, was used to refer to any part inside the limits of the city or of the land (a more restrict area), while "apud" was used to refer a more general location, or with the limits less defined.