Textkit Logo

Attic/Modern Greek comparison

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.

Moderators: thesaurus, Jeff Tirey

Attic/Modern Greek comparison

Postby Jefferson Cicero » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:22 pm

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a book or a website that compares Attic with Modern Greek grammatically?

It might be helpful if one were to start learning Modern Greek after having learnt Attic, which I am considering.
'Greek had to be simplified, and Latin had to be replaced with Italian, because we barbarians stole so many Greek and Latin words.'
Jefferson Cicero
Textkit Member

Re: Attic/Modern Greek comparison

Postby mingshey » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:51 am

You can find a thorough treatise on that subject in Geoffery C. Horrocks' "Greek: A History Of The Language And Its Speakers", Addison Wesley (ISBN-13: 978-0582307094).
But the faster way to compare them is to learn both of them a little bit.
And you might find the Wikipedia article on Greek Language helpful.
Cheers!
mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Postby Scribo » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:41 pm

Horrock's is the best, also bear in mind the difference between spoken and written..
Scribo
Textkit Zealot

Postby Jefferson Cicero » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:25 pm

Thank you, Mingshey and Scribo. Horrock's does look like the perfect book for what I want to do, from what I can see about it on Amazon. It's price is quite high, however, so I'll have to wait a while before I can get it.
'Greek had to be simplified, and Latin had to be replaced with Italian, because we barbarians stole so many Greek and Latin words.'
Jefferson Cicero
Textkit Member

Postby Adelheid » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:59 pm

That looks like a very interesting book. I have started learning modern Greek last year and I am really curious about comparisons with ancient Greek (since that is not a part of the course I am following, and rightly so, it is not intended to be academic).

Thanks, Mingshey!
Adelheid
Textkit Enthusiast

Return to Open Board