Quick view on my answer to question

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
pmda
Textkit Zealot

Quick view on my answer to question

Post by pmda »

I have answered this question in Orberg's Exercitia Latina:

Cur magnae naves Roman adire non possunt?

...with...

Pars Tiberis quae prope Romam nimis parva est. itaque naves magnae ad huic loco navigare non possunt.

Does it look OK?

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Quick view on my answer to question

Post by thesaurus »

pmda wrote: Pars Tiberis quae prope Romam nimis parva est. itaque naves magnae ad huic loco navigare non possunt.
"Pars Tiberis quae prope Romam est nimis parva est." or simply "Pars Tiberis prope Romam nimis parva est."

"Itaque naves magnae ad hunc locum navigare non possunt." or "Itaque naves magnae huc/illuc navigare non possunt."

"ad" requires nouns in the accusative case.
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Post by pmda »

Thanks Thesaurus.

furrykef
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by furrykef »

thesaurus wrote:"huic" is an adverb
Er, no it isn't... it's still the wrong case, though.

If on the off chance you need to use the ablative of "this place" (which would be common with prepositions such as "in"), that would be "hōc locō". But "ad" does always take the accusative, not the ablative, and remember that prepositions can never take the dative or any other case besides accusative and ablative.
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.

Delirant isti romani!

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

furrykef wrote:
thesaurus wrote:"huic" is an adverb
Er, no it isn't... it's still the wrong case, though.
Oops. For some reason I was thinking of "huc" when I wrote that.
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute