Quotes (ab)using Latin or about Latin itself

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Quotes (ab)using Latin or about Latin itself

Post by Carolus Raeticus »

Salvete!

I thought that it would be interesting to start a thread featuring quotes:
  • about Latin itself ("about" but not "in" Latin), or
  • using Latin (but not Latin-only quotes!)
Caveat lector: this thread is not intended for Latin-only quotes (e.g. "Oderint dum metuant")!
I want to start off with this wonderful - and unfortunately at least for me at the present time still too true - quote from Paul B. Diederich's "The Frequency of Latin Words and their Endings":
"Caesar, the first classical author commonly read, is so difficult in vocabulary, syntax, and maturity of content that fewer pupils than Helvetians survive."
As an example for the second type of quotes for this thread, I would like to present a brief quote from an autobiography about the British draughtsman (of wonderful hand-drawn maps) and author A. Wainwright:
"I'm getting old, that's the trouble. How I wish tempus wouldn't fugit so much."
Valete,

Carolus Raeticus
Sperate miseri, cavete felices.

Hampie
Textkit Member

Re: Quotes (ab)using Latin or about Latin itself

Post by Hampie »

Latin is a language,
dead as dead can be;
first it killed the Romans,
now it's killing me.

It's old, but it never gets boring!
Här kan jag i alla fall skriva på svenska, eller hur?

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Quotes (ab)using Latin or about Latin itself

Post by thesaurus »

Hampie wrote:It's old, but it never gets boring!
Another classic:
Heinrich Heine, 1797-1856, wrote:If the Romans had been obliged to learn Latin, they would never have found time to conquer the world.
[Obiter: the same guy said presciently, "Where they burn books, they will also burn people."]
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute