a question about PLA Sophist. 244a

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
medea
Textkit Neophyte

a question about PLA Sophist. 244a

Post by medea »

δῆλον γὰρ ὡς ὑμεῖς μὲν ταῦτα πάλαι γιγνώσκετε, ἡμεῖς δὲ πρὸ τοῦ μὲν ᾠόμεθα, νῦν δ᾽ ἠπορήκαμεν.

Long time no see~~~

We can find the analyse here http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/tex ... 99.01.0171
but the fonction of the word "tou" here in this phrase is still obscure for me. Would u help me to work out~ :cry:

NateD26
Textkit Zealot

Re: a question about PLA Sophist. 244a

Post by NateD26 »

LSJ has τὸ πρὸ τοῦ (variant reading τούτου) from Thuc. 2.15 [3] which is literally translated as ere/before this,
and is also sometimes written as one word προτοῦ.
I guess this may be the earlier demonstrative force of the article, but I hope others would elaborate.
Nate.

modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Post by modus.irrealis »

NateD26 wrote:I guess this may be the earlier demonstrative force of the article, but I hope others would elaborate.
That's also Smyth's explanation as well in § 1117, and I think that pretty much sums it up.

medea
Textkit Neophyte

Post by medea »

NateD26 wrote: I guess this may be the earlier demonstrative force of the article
Thanks a lot. It's enough for me right now.

:( I hope I could go a little bit futher, being armed by historical linguistics after retirement :(