Textkit Logo

Filius decessit...

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

Filius decessit...

Postby Einhard » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:55 pm

Salavte,

Would appreciate any suggestions for the following sentence from Pliny:

Filius decessit eximia pulchritudine, pari verecundia, et parentibus non minus ob alia carus quam quod filius erat

Her son, a boy of extraordinary beauty and equal modesty, died, and he was not less a beloved son to his parents on account of other things than that.

I think I have that reasonably accurate, if anyone has alternate suggestions, I'd be happy to hear them.

Thanks,
Einhard.
Einhard
Textkit Member

Re: Filius decessit...

Postby modus.irrealis » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:31 pm

What about "he was no less dear to his parents on account of other things than on account of his being their son"? I think the natural thing in English would be to use a different structure and say something like "he was dear to his parents for other things as much as he was for being their son" (although that particular attempt's not very good).
modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Re: Filius decessit...

Postby adrianus » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:40 pm

"The son died, beloved for his extraordinary good looks, for his matching modesty, and for other things by his parents, not just because he was their son."
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.
adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Return to Learning Latin