Textkit Logo

Homework Help! Pliny the Younger: Epistulae 5.16

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

Homework Help! Pliny the Younger: Epistulae 5.16

Postby hermione278 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:14 am

Salvete!

I'm translating part of Pliny's letter about the death of Fundanus' daughter, and there's this one word that I've never seen before, nor can I find it anywhere: amabilius. It's making it tricky to get the syntax of the whole sentence, so if anyone knows what this word is...it's meaning, or anything else about it, I'd be extremely grateful. I'll give the surrounding text in case it helps, but don't worry, I've got the meanings for the rest of the words already :)

"Qua puella nihil umquam festivius amabilius, nec modo longiore vita sed prope immortalitate dignius vidi."

I'm pretty sure that it starts out with "The cheerfulness of that girl" or something to that effect, but I'm not sure about the placement of 'nihil' and 'numquam' since I'm not sure what this 'amabilius' is.

Thanks in advance for any help!
hermione278
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Homework Help! Pliny the Younger: Epistulae 5.16

Postby thesaurus » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:27 pm

hermione278 wrote:"Qua puella nihil umquam festivius amabilius, nec modo longiore vita sed prope immortalitate dignius vidi."

I'm pretty sure that it starts out with "The cheerfulness of that girl" or something to that effect, but I'm not sure about the placement of 'nihil' and 'numquam' since I'm not sure what this 'amabilius' is.

"Amabilius" may begin to make more sense if you can figure out "festivius" and "dignius." The three share the same form, and "amabilius" is related to the word "amabilis." I'll give you a hint: "qua puella" is in the ablative case, and "amabilius, festivius, dignius" are all connected with "qua puella."

Perhaps you could think of the sentence rewritten like this to approximate an English word order:
Nihil umquam vidi festivius [vel] amabilius qua puella, nec modo dignius longiore vita sed prope immortalitate.
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute
thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Return to Learning Latin