How to type agora properly?

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
David.W
Textkit Neophyte

How to type agora properly?

Post by David.W »

How to type ??????
The last "a" should have a macro and an acute. How to type these two at the same time?
By the way, I have problem displaying ancient Greek correctly, for example in the post :Using Greek Characters

"As a demonstration of this. I will now switch from English to Greek Polytonic with the click of a button and back again after I type out the Greek alphabet as easily as the Roman Alphabet... Here goes...

αβγδε ζηθικ λμνξο π?στυ φχψω
and now swiching back...

abgde zhuik lmnjo prsty fxcv"

How to show properly those ancient greek characters?

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Re: How to type agora properly?

Post by jaihare »

David.W wrote:How to type ??????
The last "a" should have a macro and an acute. How to type these two at the same time?
By the way, I have problem displaying ancient Greek correctly, for example in the post :Using Greek Characters

"As a demonstration of this. I will now switch from English to Greek Polytonic with the click of a button and back again after I type out the Greek alphabet as easily as the Roman Alphabet... Here goes...

αβγδε ζηθικ λμνξο π?στυ φχψω
and now swiching back...

abgde zhuik lmnjo prsty fxcv"

How to show properly those ancient greek characters?
At present, we don't have a way to represent this with Unicode. It's not about it being "properly" typed. It's fine to type it with the accent only, so long as you remember the vowel is long. Many people learn Greek without writing macrons.

The old post that you're quoting used a different system for representing Greek. We use Unicode on the forum now.

Alatius
Textkit Fan

Post by Alatius »

You can write such things with Unicode, only there are no precomposed characters with both macrons and acute. Instead you will have to use the combining characters starting from U+0300. For example, you can write ἀγορᾱ́, with U+1FB1 and U+0301, or ἀγορᾱ́ with U+03B1, U+0301, and U+0304. How well this shows up much depends on your operating system and your fonts: for many, the diacritics will unfortunately overlap.

Lex
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lex »

If you are asking how to type an alpha with macron and acute accent on the forum, I can't help you. If you are trying to do this in your own files, you can use the New Athena Unicode font (do a Google search for it). It has non-standard Unicode characters, including alpha with macron and acute accent. The problem then is trying to figure out a good way to get these characters into your files. I used the Character Map program (on Vista) to get the special characters, and then put them into a file that I can cut/paste from.
I, Lex Llama, super genius, will one day rule this planet! And then you'll rue the day you messed with me, you damned dirty apes!

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

Lex wrote:If you are asking how to type an alpha with macron and acute accent on the forum, I can't help you. If you are trying to do this in your own files, you can use the New Athena Unicode font (do a Google search for it). It has non-standard Unicode characters, including alpha with macron and acute accent. The problem then is trying to figure out a good way to get these characters into your files. I used the Character Map program (on Vista) to get the special characters, and then put them into a file that I can cut/paste from.
Excellent. I didn't know that New Athena Unicode had these characters near the end of the map. Thanks for mentioning that!!!

Jai