No orange icons...

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Keesa
Textkit Zealot

No orange icons...

Post by Keesa »

Aren't the little icons to the left of the message headings supposed to be orange if there are new messages in the thread? That feature doesn't seem to be working for me.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

it works on and off for me. i think it's caching... try refreshing when that happens.

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

Yep, the orange icons aren't showing up all the time. Forum has run out of Orange Ink. Jeff's trying to get in a huge order of Green Ink... ordering it through Amazon using the Textkit redirect, of course. ;)

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

It's sort of annoying how if you check one forum and leave and then come back, all the posts in the other forums are marked as old :(
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

I'm on the case! :wink:

It's bugging me too - it's new, it's read, it's new, it's read....

Jeff
Textkit Founder

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

With the vicissitudinous nature of the orange icons ... guess we can't call the place dull or static. :D You must have a laundry list of tweaks and improvements to the new board. We appreciate all the time and effort you put into Textkit; we realize that you also have a life, and a day job. I guess all we can do is be patient... take your time, but hurry up! ;) (I learned a Latin phrase to that effect... what was it? Festina lente, sed festina?)

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

I just wanted to point this out... on the main Index page, you can click on the "View posts since last visit" link which is near the top.

Also... you can easily find new posts for the day by looking at the "Last Post" column and noting which threads have had new posts by date/time. Just look at the threads with new posts since your last visit to Textkit.

This is what I have been doing. Note the posts from today, then look at the timestamp and read the threads with timestamps later than my last visit to the forum.

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

mariek wrote:
I guess all we can do is be patient... take your time, but hurry up! ;) (I learned a Latin phrase to that effect... what was it? Festina lente, sed festina?)
Yep, that's it. I learned it off by heart when it was first posted, and I have used it almost constantly ever since, so it stuck very nicely. :D
mariek wrote:
This is what I have been doing. Note the posts from today, then look at the timestamp and read the threads with timestamps later than my last visit to the forum.

I usually look at the last poster in a thread. Most of the posts above the top thread with me as the most-recent-poster are going to be new; some aren't, but it at least keeps me from searching the entire forum...that can be time consuming. :wink:

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

I just wanted to point this out... on the main Index page, you can click on the "View posts since last visit" link which is near the top.
Umm, actually I try that every so often and it always comes up with a message to say nothing found.

At the moment, I'm going by memory of when I last logged in and the message dates. Trouble is, I don't always get to some of the lower-down fora, which means I tend to forget when I last visited them. :?

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

You're absolutely right. The last time I used the "view posts since last visit" must have been earlier when it was working properly. Jeff is aware of the problem, and fixing the icon colors is on his "to do" list.

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

Just a thought, and if it's difficult or impossible to do, never mind, but you know the previous topic/next topic links at the top of each thread? Could they be moved to the bottom of the thread? That's when I tend to want them, when I finish reading the posts in a thread :D