E book Formats for Nook, etc.?

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Antonios
Textkit Neophyte

E book Formats for Nook, etc.?

Post by Antonios »

Has anyone attempted to create epub format editions of any Ancient Greek texts, or know where an archive of such files might exist? Evidently there are some "workaround" methods
to creating e-book versions of ancient greek, but I'm curious as to how successfully the diacritics come out.

I've only been able to find one Greek epub, of the New Testament. No diacritics. I have no information as to whether this is a limitation of the font used, or the process, or the format.

Thanks in advance!

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Re: E book Formats for Nook, etc.?

Post by jaihare »

Antonios wrote:Has anyone attempted to create epub format editions of any Ancient Greek texts, or know where an archive of such files might exist? Evidently there are some "workaround" methods
to creating e-book versions of ancient greek, but I'm curious as to how successfully the diacritics come out.

I've only been able to find one Greek epub, of the New Testament. No diacritics. I have no information as to whether this is a limitation of the font used, or the process, or the format.

Thanks in advance!
Can Nook or Kindle read pdf books?

NateD26
Textkit Zealot

Post by NateD26 »

I've just found out this little guide which explains how to edit the container of an epub (the css file and adding special fonts)
in order to display Polytonic Greek. Although it was written for the Sony Reader, I don't think it's much different in other readers:
http://www.iol.ie/~stuartneilson/Articl ... Reader.htm

Here are a bunch of Christian books' epubs. I've checked the first two in Calibre, a dedicated Windows epub
reader, and it displayed the Polytonic Greek perfectly. I'll check tomorrow each epub to see how the uploader
has managed to accomplish that.
http://www.myorthodoxlibrary.com/index. ... &Itemid=53
Nate.

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

jaihare wrote:Can Nook or Kindle read pdf books?
pdf's are great on my Kindle. I also highly recommend the free, open source program calibre which is fantastic for organizing all different kinds of ebooks, for converting between types and for syncing with your Kindle/Nook/Sony/Whatever reader. I haven't tried to have it convert or deal with greek text in a non-pdf format, though. I might give it a try when I have the time.
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library

NateD26
Textkit Zealot

Post by NateD26 »

Well, I've just downloaded and opened all 27 epubs on that site, and only few of them actually display Polytonic Greek
(one is written in modern Greek). The others show squares where accented letters should be. I've checked the container of
one of the properly-displayed epubs and there are three css files, which were too complicated for my basic understanding of css.

Perhaps someone with more experience would be kind enough to check them. :)
Nate.

Antonios
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Antonios »

As far as the Nook is concerned, I'm not really crazy about it's PDF capabilities--if there's a way to zoom in or out I haven't found it yet. Otherwise I'd be perfectly content just to PDF everything and be done with it.

One advantage of the epub format is the ability to use xml to create chapter links. I know that can be done on PDF as well, but the nook doesn't seem to do anything but read the file; epub links work great on the nook.