Function of the article

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
GTM
Textkit Member

Function of the article

Post by GTM »

1 John 2:13

γραφω υμιν πατερες οτι εγνωκατε τον απ αρχης γραφω υμιν νεανισκοι οτι νενικηκατε τον πονηρον εγραψα υμιν παιδια οτι εγνωκατε τον πατερα

The article "τον" seems as if it could function in two different ways.

First: It seems to function to establish a substantive
Second: It appears as if it also functions as a pointer.(anaphoric)

Here is the question, "Is it possible for that the article functions as both in this verse"? (1 John 2:13)

If so the anaphor would seem to be speaking of 1 John 1:1

ο ην απ αρχης ο ακηκοαμεν ο εωρακαμεν τοις οφθαλμοις ημων ο εθεασαμεθα και αι χειρες ημων εψηλαφησαν περι του λογου της ζωης

Am I understanding this correctly?

GTM

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Re: Function of the article

Post by jaihare »

GTM wrote:1 John 2:13

γραφω υμιν πατερες οτι εγνωκατε τον απ αρχης γραφω υμιν νεανισκοι οτι νενικηκατε τον πονηρον εγραψα υμιν παιδια οτι εγνωκατε τον πατερα

The article "τον" seems as if it could function in two different ways.

First: It seems to function to establish a substantive
Second: It appears as if it also functions as a pointer.(anaphoric)

Here is the question, "Is it possible for that the article functions as both in this verse"? (1 John 2:13)

If so the anaphor would seem to be speaking of 1 John 1:1

ο ην απ αρχης ο ακηκοαμεν ο εωρακαμεν τοις οφθαλμοις ημων ο εθεασαμεθα και αι χειρες ημων εψηλαφησαν περι του λογου της ζωης

Am I understanding this correctly?

GTM
The difference in gender (here masculine τὸν and there neuter ὃν) seems to be against the pointing to 1 John 1:1. I think it's referring here to a person rather than to a concept, which is the justification for the masculine.

I agree, though, that it's functioning both as a substantive ("the one [that is] from the beginning") and also as a pointer (specifically, "that one [that is] from the beginning"). It's functioning to point at someone, surely a reference to Jesus being "from the beginning".

Regards,
Jason

GTM
Textkit Member

Post by GTM »

jaihare
I think it's referring here to a person rather than to a concept, which is the justification for the masculine.
Interesting thought.

Could we understand this as a personification of the Logos?

Thanks in advance

GTM

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

GTM wrote:Could we understand this as a personification of the Logos?
Why not? I think the audience was intended to know who was meant. It might be a reference to "God" in general -- the eternal one, him who is from the beginning.

GTM
Textkit Member

Post by GTM »

jaihare
Why not? I think the audience was intended to know who was meant. It might be a reference to "God" in general -- the eternal one, him who is from the beginning.
It seems as if the Gospel of John was an attempt to define the Deity of Christ while the 1st Epistle sought to define the Humanity of Christ. If there is a personification here, which I believe there is, it has to do with the Messiah.

Once again thank you for your input

GTM

GTM
Textkit Member

Post by GTM »

babymango
seems good .I like to write article too.
I am not sure that I understand what you mean.

GTM