How did YOU learn Latin?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Vexx
Textkit Neophyte

How did YOU learn Latin?

Post by Vexx »

Hi,

I have decided on how i'm going to be learning latin and the approximate time frame, and all that. But i'm curious
as to what everyone else did to learn Latin. This will quite helpful not only for me to perhaps change my plan, but
for others who find this forum or are curious like me:

- Did you learn to Read, Speak or Write?
- What programs did you use and what order where they in?
- How effective where they? And would you recomend any?
- How long did it take to do? How many hours per day was spent?
- What level have you achieved by doing the above?

Much appreciated,

Vexx.

Hampie
Textkit Member

Re: How did YOU learn Latin?

Post by Hampie »

I'm sad that I cannot contribute to how I learned latin, since I currently do not speak nor write it above 'Puella per domum ambulat'-level. I can, however, share how I did not learn latin. I did a class in Latin at University. It was the old, perhaps mediæval?, grammar-grammar-grammar method. And after the entire morphology were covered, we begun reading Cicero by looking for subjects, predicates and objects - carefully taking notes on ablatives and deponentia. It was dull. Very, very dull. Also, Cicero LOVES deponentia...
Här kan jag i alla fall skriva på svenska, eller hur?

dlb
Textkit Member

Post by dlb »

The hard way - study!
Deus me ducet, non ratio.
Observito Quam Educatio Melius Est.

Einhard
Textkit Member

Post by Einhard »

I used Wheelock to get to grips with the basic grammar and pick up some vocabulary, but rather than then launcing into Cicero et al immediately, I read through Orberg's LL series. I had the grammar so it was really just a manner of getting used to the language, absorbing as much as I could in a relatively relaxed, easy manner. once I had finished that, I moved onto some Latin readers with extracts from a wide range of sources. I personally think it's the best method. It''ll takes years to gain a good knowledge of latin if you decide to use Orberg alone. It took me a few hours to get through the more difficult chapters later on in the series, and that's with a good knowledge of grammar. I shudder to hink how long it would have taken were I picking it up as I went along.

little flower
Textkit Member

Post by little flower »

Hi Vexx
A short summary from my limited experience. I have tried wheelock (briefly ,29 ch's of self tutorial ex's) and recently in the last couple of years orberg LL vol 1. I have also tried Adler (from Evan Milner's 'Latinum 'site).
I have enjoyed LL most but wouldn't have attempted it without my tutor (Dr Ann Martin.). I have taken the time to record most of our tuition sessions and find myself coming back time and again to them whether for revision purposes ,the exercitia ,etc.
I would guess that i have learned most from writing and listening to the language and i would recommend a combination of approaches if just for variety sake. Try reading the 'Dowling ' site as i think it probably gives the best balance between the Natural Method of Orberg and the more traditional method of Wheelock et al.
To those who can listen to Adler for four hours a day i say bet of luck. My limit is one hour writing and one listening at he moment. I hope that this will be enough to get me through the latin mass priesthood (sspx), my preferred goal. It is interesting that they do LL in first year (of three) although after over 4 and a half years i still havent a solid grasp of that book. When it comes to books like the Summa of st Thomas i'm all at sea.
Anyway best of luck and keep us in the prayers.

Little flower.

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

Einhard wrote:I used Wheelock to get to grips with the basic grammar and pick up some vocabulary, but rather than then launcing into Cicero et al immediately, I read through Orberg's LL series. I had the grammar so it was really just a manner of getting used to the language, absorbing as much as I could in a relatively relaxed, easy manner. once I had finished that, I moved onto some Latin readers with extracts from a wide range of sources. I personally think it's the best method. It''ll takes years to gain a good knowledge of latin if you decide to use Orberg alone. It took me a few hours to get through the more difficult chapters later on in the series, and that's with a good knowledge of grammar. I shudder to hink how long it would have taken were I picking it up as I went along.
My background is similar to Einhard's, except that I also had the benefit of some classes. I learned the rudiments of the language with a summer crash course in Wheelock's Latin. It took a few months and involved about three hours of class a day with equally as much homework. After that I read from (Orberg's edition of) Caesar's Gallic Wars, but it was always slow going. However, I then worked my way through most of the Lingua Latina series (I got through half of volume two) and my Latin really began to progress. Having the grammatical background, it was pleasant to read LL and soak up a lot of words and get a more intuitive feel for the language. I took a course on Cicero before I graduated from university, and I found that the LL background really put me ahead of the curve in reading proficiency.

If I had stopped then, my Latin would undoubtedly have slipped quickly, but I resolved to keep practicing when out of school. I moved and got a job in a big city with an hour bus commute each way, and I decided to treat it as study time. I would read Cicero or another author in the morning and usually study Greek on the way back. After doing this for months, my grip of the language was greatly facilitated. Since then, I've tried to read some Latin as often as I can, everyday if possible.

Regardless of the methods you use, just be really regular with your studies. If you study (almost) everyday you'll make progress. If you study occasionally, maybe a heavy session every weekend, you'll spin your wheels indefinitely.
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute

cantator
Textkit Fan

Post by cantator »

Went through a "Latin Made Easy" text and quickly realized it wasn't enough, so I got Wheelock and went through it by myself. Then I took private lessons for a couple of years. After those lessons my teacher told me to read, read, read. Nearly 40 years later I'm still reading.
Similis sum folio de quo ludunt venti.

dlb
Textkit Member

Post by dlb »

thesaurus wrote: Regardless of the methods you use, just be really regular with your studies. If you study (almost) everyday you'll make progress. If you study occasionally, maybe a heavy session every weekend, you'll spin your wheels indefinitely.
I can't emphasize enough the power of thesaurus' statement, especially concerning the regularity of study. The only thing I would add is definately study every day whether you review words, read prior to retiring, at your lunch break, ..., however and whenever you can. Also I believe that he is correct on a second point - regardless of the methods you use - use someones, several or develop you own 'order of study with a variety of material'. Lastly, try to think in Latin and speak in Latin. It is very hard at first but as your vocabulary increases you will find it becomes easier.
Last edited by dlb on Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deus me ducet, non ratio.
Observito Quam Educatio Melius Est.

Vexx
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Vexx »

Thanks all!
With the consistent study: maybe I'll just read a page of LL everyday because i'm short on time, I can definitely manage that since it's not very stressful to do! That's good to know.