Textkit Logo

Pl. Ap. 30e5-31a1

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Pl. Ap. 30e5-31a1

Postby NateD26 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:36 am

οἷον δή μοι δοκεῖ ὁ θεὸς ἐμὲ τῇ πόλει προστεθηκέναι τοιοῦτόν τινα,
ὃς ὑμᾶς ἐγείρων καὶ πείθων καὶ ὀνειδίζων ἕνα ἕκαστον οὐδὲν παύομαι
τὴν ἡμέραν ὅλην πανταχοῦ προσκαθίζων.

I know that the underlined part goes with οἷον but does it refer to a person, as someone of this sort,
and then the relative clause would follow more naturally, I, who constantly...?
W.Tyler had read it as neuter, as something of this sort, and the '66 translation, in some such capacity.

I also wanted to ask which is the supplementary part. of οὐδὲν παύομαι because all the versions read it as going with προσκαθίζων.
The order of the words, however, must be the reason for that: It's not "I who am always encouraging, urging and reproaching
each one of you." but more in line with the comparison to a gadfly, "I who am constantly settling everywhere, arousing, urging etc.
Nate.
NateD26
Textkit Zealot

Re: Pl. Ap. 30e5-31a1

Postby modus.irrealis » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:28 pm

Well, τινα can only me masculine, so I would say person. I read the "in some such capacity" as showing a person understanding as well, and that it represents a literal meaning of "as such a person".

I read παύομαι as governing προσκαθίζων and then the other participles as modifying προσκαθίζων, and that gives the meaning "I who am constantly settling everywhere, arousing, urging etc". I think he means to imply that the settling everywhere is part of what he won't stop doing. I'm not sure if that answers your question though.
modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Re: Pl. Ap. 30e5-31a1

Postby NateD26 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:49 am

It does, modus. Thank you!
Nate.
NateD26
Textkit Zealot

Return to Learning Greek